Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to start?

(7 Posts)
Choccyhobnob Mon 30-Oct-17 14:39:18

My 2.1 year old has been taking an interest in the potty for the last month or say saying he wants to do a wee on it etc (we didn't even have one so I went and bought one). Usually he sits on it when he accompanies me to the toilet but yesterday he insisted he wanted to do a wee on the potty, was holding his nappy area and made my husband take him upstairs and take his nappy off and he did indeed sit on the potty and do a wee.

I wasn't planning on potty training for at least another 6 months when I planned to go all ouit "oh crap" method. I don't know what to do!

Mol1628 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:49:21

I’d just go nappy free for a day, naked from waist down, and see how he gets on. If he doesn’t seem to get it and isn’t figuring out when he’s about to wee and getting to the potty then leave it a couple of months

My son was well into the potty, he loved sitting on it and would sometimes wee. But he couldn’t tell when he was about to wee and get to the potty on time till he was about 2.4

Smellyjo Mon 30-Oct-17 20:11:27

I'm doing oh crap method just now with 22 month dd. Into our third week and she's had 2 completely dry days now and getting better at telling us, still very much learning but it's gone much better than I expected. He's perfect age for oh crap and giving signs he's ready. Have you read the book? She suggests reading it then planning a start date for 2 weeks time. Hard bit is trying to clear 3 days minimum then have very little plans for at least first week. Good luck!

Choccyhobnob Mon 30-Oct-17 20:38:44

Yes I've read It! Trouble is definitely trying to find a clear time. I'm only home with him Friday- Sunday then he is with grandparents Monday and Thursday and nursery Tuesday and Wednesday so I'm nervous of mixed methods and messages!

Smellyjo Mon 30-Oct-17 22:05:57

Yeah the whole thing is pretty nerve wracking the first few days but it gets better. Dd had me for two days, then dad one, then me, etc, and granny one day in the mix and it did probably confuse things a bit but wasn't impossible. With you for 3 days the worst part will be done. You/ he can do it! Don't be scared! I've definitely found as I've relaxed, it's gone better. Easier said than done but just accepting that there will be accidents along the way.

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 31-Oct-17 08:19:12

I’d definitely say go for it sooner rather than later if you can find a few days. He’s giving you a lot more signs than you need to start with the Oh Crap method.

3 days is ok, 4 would be better if you could take a day off before he goes to Nursery? And definitely get the grandparents to read the book and talk to Nursery about it.

My daughter’s nursery were a bit unsure when I first sent her in commando (they were far more used to pull ups and training taking months) but after the first day, they were asking to borrow the book so don’t assume they won’t be helpful with it!

Choccyhobnob Tue 31-Oct-17 15:59:10

He definitely knows when he's about to wee as he stands up in the bath and stands dead still for a few seconds looking down at it waiting for it to come! I need to speak to nursery tonight I think and see what their usual approach is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now