Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Almost 5 year old regressing, help!

(8 Posts)
thepatchworkcat Sun 15-Oct-17 13:57:27

My DS is 4 yrs 10 months and in Reception. He was always slow to be toilet trained and was 3 before he was out of nappies in the day. Even then he wouldn't poo in the toilet for another 8 months! Only stopped nappies/pull ups at night in May.

Just before he started school he started wetting the bed again and so we went back to pull ups because he seemed anxious about school and so we thought we'd leave it for a bit. Still in pull ups now but I'm not too worried about that.

HOWEVER this weekend he's pooed in his pants twice! And not even told us until we've realised a bit later.

We're a bit baffled and not sure what to do! Has anyone else had this? Is it a normal regression in the same way that they have sleep regressions etc? Should we be concerned or is it just one of those things and probably a one-off?

He doesn't have any special needs, is very bright and articulate, no dramatic events have happened except for starting school.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

singlemumwith2daughters Mon 16-Oct-17 14:24:43

big changes always bring about regression. there are loads of studies about it. Don't loose heart.
Just keep positive encouraging, and use a reward box and fill with things - always worked for my kids.

RooKay Thu 19-Oct-17 17:17:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thepatchworkcat Thu 19-Oct-17 17:57:28

RooKay you’d be better starting a new thread and putting it in parenting/another category or a local Sheffield one. I don’t think you’ll get much response to your formula question on my very boring toileting thread!

thepatchworkcat Thu 19-Oct-17 17:58:26

Incidentally though if he’s 3 surely he can just have full fat cow’s milk?

Ausparent Thu 19-Oct-17 18:49:17

Our son was the same age when his sister was born and went from being totally dry during the day to one morning wetting himself 6 times!

He is 7 now and still occasionally wets the bed. We have learned that this this is not a linear process and can go for months being dry and then wet the bed 4 times in a row.

My advice is to take steps to make it as stress free as possible (we layer the bed with normal and waterproof sheets to make changing at night easier) and try not to get him stressed about it.

There is a great website www.eric.org.uk/ which has a forum where hundreds of parents have similar issues which can help you feel you are not alone. There are also advice sheets available there which we found really useful.

The only other thing I would say is that it might be worth speaking to your GP to check for constipation. Sometimes this can be a factor in toileting problems and surprisingly kids can be constipated but still poo as the blockage can be further up or not total.

Good luck!

thepatchworkcat Thu 19-Oct-17 19:38:11

Thanks Ausparent

Positivevibe Sun 22-Oct-17 08:23:14

+1 for Ausparent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now