Talk

Advanced search

I have no idea what to do. 19 month old DD.

(11 Posts)
bespawler Mon 09-Oct-17 18:15:49

Posting for a friend.

DD is 19 months old so I know she might be a bit young but I have no idea what to do about potty training. She stops what she's doing when she's about to wee or poo but if I put her on the potty she won't do anything. If she's got nothing on her bottom half, she seems to hold her wee in for as long as she can and then hides away from me, does it on the floor and then gets upset about it. She knows the word potty and will sometimes sit next to it while she wees in her nappy. She doesn't like to have a wet or dirty nappy on and takes it off when she's uncomfortable.

I'm thinking she maybe doesn't like the potty that she has atm. Is that a possibility? Or am I missing something really obvious? Help please!

PurplePillowCase Mon 09-Oct-17 18:16:37

she's still young. try again in 6 months (at least!)

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 09-Oct-17 18:17:07

Way too young, just leave it for a while and save a whole load on angst!

Smallpotatolove Mon 09-Oct-17 18:18:13

19 months is really really young. I think 2.5 is probably the average. My DS was 3.3 when he was trained. If she's not interested just leave it.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 09-Oct-17 18:18:23

I think you may be going for it a little bit fast. Perhaps start offering her the choice rather than putting her on the potty. And maybe consider a toilet seat adaptor over the wc rather than a potty.

bespawler Mon 09-Oct-17 18:23:28

Hmm. It's her not liking having a wet or dirty nappy that made me think she might prefer the potty.

Smallpotatolove Tue 10-Oct-17 14:21:19

They can dislike the sensation long before they are ready to actually be potty trained unfortunately.

bespawler Tue 10-Oct-17 17:11:25

Ok thanks for your help smile

Ecureuil Tue 10-Oct-17 17:14:44

DD2 was trained at 20 months because she hated her nappy, so it’s not necessarily too early.
I read ‘oh crap! Potty training’ and vaguely followed their methods, I recommend the approach.
DD1 wasn’t ready until 2.4 but DD2 was definitely ready at 20 months.

ohamIreally Tue 10-Oct-17 17:14:44

My DD was exactly the same I left it a few months then tried again it was fine. Don't be afraid to use bribery.

Mishappening Tue 10-Oct-17 17:22:50

Needs a bit more time I think - give it a break for now - and a jelly tot as a reward!

It is tempting to dive in with training when it becomes obvious that they know they are doing ti, but some children need a bit longer to get their heads round it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: