Talk

Advanced search

How old was your DS when he got the hang of potty training?

(14 Posts)
CarlHickbread Mon 09-Oct-17 07:27:28

DS is 27 months. Knows when he needs to wee and poo, likes wearing his big boy pants, will sit on the potty when dressed but will point blank refuse to sit on it without being fully clothed!

How old were your DS’ when they got the hang of going on the potty?

I have a 15 month year old DD too and I’m thinking that she will be out of nappies before her brother at this rate 😂🙈

PotteringAlong Mon 09-Oct-17 07:31:17

Both my eldest 2 were just before their 3rd birthday. So about 33 months. The youngest one isn't potty trained yet.

27 months is only just past 2. I hadn't even thought about potty training either of them at that age.

Aspieparent Mon 09-Oct-17 07:31:21

Ds1 was 18 months ds2 will be 4 next week and still in nappies but he's sn. Ds3 was 2. He will get the hang of it eventually.

LemonScentedStickyBat Mon 09-Oct-17 07:32:15

Just turned 3, exactly the same as my dd and my niece - and apparently the same as my sister and I too, according to my mum!

PetalMettle Mon 09-Oct-17 07:34:20

I have a 27 month old also. He sometimes asks to sit on it but has no interest in doing anything. I thought I’d see what interest he has around xmas time

CJCreggsGoldfish Mon 09-Oct-17 07:34:41

DS is nearly 3 and still in nappies. He point blank refuses to wee anywhere but his nappy. He can hold it for a few hours, he knows when he needs to go but gets really really upset and demands his nappy. I'm backing off completely for a while.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Oct-17 07:36:11

DS - 2 and 9 months. Took a couple of weeks. DM was amazed I was trying to potty train s boy before he was 3. I was oh, didn’t want two in nappies!
DD - announced “pants today” at 2 and 3 months. We stayed in for a day, she had one accident that day, and that was it.

EveMoneypenny Mon 09-Oct-17 07:36:43

The week after his 3rd birthday, and we skipped potties and went straight to the toilet. 27 months is very young. I tried with DS at 30 months and he was clearly not ready.

isthistoonosy Mon 09-Oct-17 07:38:12

Ds was almost three
Dd 2yrs 7 months

Both were dry at night from day one of potty training, although I don't really understand how.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 09-Oct-17 07:43:21

Reliably weed in potty if naked from the waist down: 22 months.

Reliably weed in the potty if fully dressed: 34 months.

Able to say when he needed a poo, go off and have a poo: some time before 34 months.

Able to actually poo in a potty or loo rather than a nappy: 2 months before he turned 5.

DD took around 2 weeks from showing readiness to being able to use the loo.DS took around 3 years!

dementedpixie Mon 09-Oct-17 07:45:44

Ds was day trained by age 2. He showed signs of being ready at 18/20 months.

Crumbs1 Mon 09-Oct-17 07:51:30

Between 2 years three months and 2 years nine months. It was weather dependent and, in truth, I sort of forgot to start training the youngest. They were required to be trained before they went to nursery at about 2 1/2.

Bexta147 Mon 09-Oct-17 07:56:40

My oldest was around 18 months and was dry day and night by the time he was two. My 4 year old point blank refused to even try to use a potty until the day of his third birthday.

elQuintoConyo Mon 09-Oct-17 08:10:03

He absolutely LOATHED nappies and nappy changing, laying on his back, hated it. So he got it from the get-go with enthusiasm. We went straight for toilets and didn't bother with a potty. He was dry at night almost immediately, but we still put a nappy on him at night for a couple of months just in case - we co-slept, so i didn't want a double bed full of widdle!

He never had an accident, we count ourselves very lucky. A friend's nearly 6yo is still in night nappies and she is very stressed about it, although i keep telling her it is completely normal, he'll get there eventually and no one is judging either her or her son.

My sister was a lazy moo (according to mum) and was in nappies until about 4yo. I hated being dirty and was out of them before she was, and she is 2 years older!

All kids are different and i think it is something that will come naturally to them and they shouldn't be pushed into it just cos little Martha or Ollie from nursery are potty trained at 1yo (even though they most definitely aren't!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now