Talk

Advanced search

Product advice & DS starting to signs - one off or go with it?

(9 Posts)
KH369 Wed 06-Sep-17 19:55:59

I'm in desperate need of some advice for potty training my 2yo son.
He is seeming/acting ready to try going without nappies - he will let me know when he's soiled but not when he's wet, by let me know I mean once he's done it he will come up to me saying 'mummy' until I check/smell/ask, when I ask he will say 'yes'. He will go elsewhere away from people when soiling also and will cry if anyone goes near him or try to get him to come back whilst he's doing it.
I alway have the potty nearby when changing him and ask if he wants to go on and sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't but today he did and wee'd for the first time in it but got scared when I offered the idea of doing a poo in there.
Really I need help with getting a new potty as the one we have is quite small (he's a tall 2yo) so he looks uncomfortable sat on it. There's so many choices I don't know what to look for - price range up to £30 including extras (underwear etc)
But also advice on how to keep the momentum going - he's in nursery 3 days a week so I don't want to drop him or them in the deep end by turning up with him in underwear instead of nappies one day but I also don't want him to digress from me letting him be naked for a bit of the day one day to having to wear a nappy all day the next.
I feel like I will be going about it the right way but I usually have to go out somewhere with him on the days he's not in nursery so he's not likely to get a full naked day soon. I might be jumping the gun and it could just be a one off but I feel I should go with it and see how he takes to it but I'd have to wait two days now as he'll be in nursery - should I speak to them and just say what what's happened tonight so they can offer him the toilet there or wait a few days and see what he's like with me properly first?

OP’s posts: |
Nan0second Wed 06-Sep-17 20:00:40

Read oh crap potty training. Buy any cheap potty (I like the pourty which cost me £6).
My similar 2 year old trained in a couple of days with the oh crap method.
Good luck!

Nan0second Wed 06-Sep-17 20:01:15

I would wait til you've got 3 days at home in a row!

Nan0second Wed 06-Sep-17 20:01:52

Oh and don't bother with pants at first, just naked then trousers!

KH369 Wed 06-Sep-17 20:06:50

The cheap pottys look too small for my son to sit on properly, will look into the book though - that sounds good however I need have three days in a row with him, between nursery and work we have two days Max though suppose I could take a few days off!

Nan0second Wed 06-Sep-17 21:53:41

I'd take a day or two off - it'll be way easier to crack if you focus on it for 3-4 solid days. The oh crap woman recommends a bank holiday weekend to all her American parents!
My DD is on 91st centile for height and 75th for weight and has had no problems using any potty... it's better if they're snug I think.

KH369 Wed 20-Sep-17 12:54:19

Decided I'm going to do it when we go away in October, will have four days on one level (in a caravan) so hopefully that should do the trick!

bookbook Wed 20-Sep-17 13:02:34

My DD got this for DGS ( he's tall/big for age) - the green bit is separate and comes out to empty/clean
Ikea potty

singlemumwith2daughters Wed 20-Sep-17 13:13:46

hi, you need to work with the nursery on this
even if he was dry in a weekend, they have to keep it going
potty training isn't just resolved in a week for most parents, they can regress and go back to the start.
the key is absolutely consistency, keep rewarding and reminding him to go to the toilet
I think the Potty Training Academy packs are pretty amazing, I used them with both my girls xx They are £21.99
xx Bets of luck xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »