Talk

Advanced search

Please help - in toilet training hell!

(8 Posts)
Oraiste Sat 29-Jul-17 21:23:40

We are attempting to toilet train our just turned 3 year old. It's not working out. He refuses to use the potty (and we have several, but all are unacceptable), just keeps saying he can't and he doesn't like the potty. He makes no effort to use the potty and after 3 days is just starting to be upset about being wet or soiled. He's not interested in sticker charts or rewards, it simply doesn't bother him.

We've tried twice in the previous 6 months to introduce the potty. Each time he's reacted negatively and we've abandoned it. We've also tried a child seat on our toilet in case he wanted to skip the potty stage.

We're all out of ideas, any suggestions? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
user1473602935 Sat 29-Jul-17 21:29:46

My 2.5 year old is showing zero interest. No advise to offer other than wait until he is ready? It's meant to be really quick and easy once they are properly ready and very long and messy if they aren't

carrotcakecupcake Sat 29-Jul-17 21:39:16

No real advice but perhaps give it a little more time? DS was about 3.5yo when it finally clicked; we went for it over a bank holiday weekend and never looked back - barely an accident since. Childminder did say that boys can take a bit longer, but adopt it a lot quicker as a result. Good luck!

isthistoonosy Sat 29-Jul-17 21:46:09

Our boy did stand up wees at the toilet long before anything else clicked. Could be worth a try as a starting point.

Strugglingmumbot Sat 29-Jul-17 21:48:06

Had he showed signs of being ready? If not I'd leave it a while longer TBH.

MrsGB2225 Sat 29-Jul-17 21:53:06

We use chocolate buttons as bribes and to encourage him to sit on the potty we have the iPad/books he can look at.

Oraiste Sat 29-Jul-17 23:43:12

Thank you all for the messages. I get what people are saying about not being ready. Tbh I'm not sure that he is. It's just that at nursery everyone else in the room is trained and they're telling us how ready he is. Saying that last time we tried on their suggestion we started at the weekend and they suggested stopping by the Tuesday as he was weeing all over creche!

He's moving to a new nursery in 2 weeks and I thought we would have him trained in time to start. I might give them a call and see what they say. I'm also afraid that if he dies train he'll regress at new nursery. It's so difficult.

Oraiste Sat 29-Jul-17 23:47:37

Also I seem to be surrounded by people who potty trained their one year old in a day - maybe not quite but you know what I mean. wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »