Talk

Advanced search

AIBU- toddler peeing in tesco

(35 Posts)
LilyHayers127 Sat 17-Jun-17 14:04:08

Today whilst shopping in my local tesco, i walked down an isle to see a little girl (2-3) getting off a potty and pulling her pants up. This was in the middle of the shop and i was shocked so i walked away. (In the mothers defence , it was in the baby isle.)

I saw the mother a few times walking around whilst i was waiting to go into the changing room as in this store somebody has to unlock the door for you to go in. When i came out, the mother took the little girl into the room to, i imagine, have a wee rather than take her to the toilet in store.

Should i have reported it or spoke to the mother as i'm yet to start potty training with my little boy.

OP’s posts: |
ooheeooohahah Sat 17-Jun-17 14:05:47

Nope. That's how you potty train a child. Unless she threw it over you while cackling then you really need to unclench.

MikeUniformMike Sat 17-Jun-17 14:06:15

That's gross.

Orangebird69 Sat 17-Jun-17 14:06:40

Yanbu. That's just not on. If you're potty training and the child is that unreliable or it's very early on then they should be in pull ups when in a bloody supermarket!

CremeFresh Sat 17-Jun-17 14:07:47

When ya gotta go , ya gotta go !

DrSpin Sat 17-Jun-17 14:08:34

You potty train like that in the middle of the isle at the supermarket? <lifts jaw from floor....>

Sirzy Sat 17-Jun-17 14:09:09

Stopping and getting a potty out anywhere isn't how you potty train a child!

Loyly Sat 17-Jun-17 14:09:14

That's disgusting. YANBU.

Calyrical Sat 17-Jun-17 14:09:49

No it is NOT ooh confused

Moregilmoregirls Sat 17-Jun-17 14:11:15

I don't understand why she couldn't take her to the toilet! Potty training at the moment and while I would use the potty at the park for example I'd take him to a toilet if there was one nearby.

NC4now Sat 17-Jun-17 14:11:40

Nope. I've trained two kids. You use the potty in the toilets.

Moregilmoregirls Sat 17-Jun-17 14:12:00

What did she do with the contents?

RebornSlippy Sat 17-Jun-17 14:14:30

Not great, but nothing about potty training. But seriously "reported it or spoken to the mother"?! OTT. Calm down.

RebornSlippy Sat 17-Jun-17 14:15:39

*nothing about potty training is great

Northgate Sat 17-Jun-17 14:16:56

That's pretty grim.

I always took the DC to the toilets in the store. Had them sit on the potty in the toilets when they were too small or too nervous to use an actual toilet.

MrsPringles Sat 17-Jun-17 14:17:29

I'm currently potty training my son, we're going for the 'chuck everything and run to a toilet when he says he needs to go'
approach. It's hard work but there is no way I would put him on a potty anywhere in public, I know they're only little but surely deserve a bit of dignity

MrsPringles Sat 17-Jun-17 14:19:37

I missed a bit, what I meant was I wouldn't stick him on a potty in public with lots of people around.

Like the PP said, if we were in a park miles from a loo and nobody around at all then I would definitely stick him on a potty

glitterglitters Sat 17-Jun-17 14:21:16

I was outside a Tesco the other day in a busy city. Child, nan and great nan waiting for a cab. Child...about 3 or 4 announces he needs the loo. Nan instructs him to "piss against the wall"

Child then proceeded to drop trousers and do a poo against the side of Tesco as well.

Have literally never been so mortified in my entire life as I he been stood (though moved as soon as he was given the instruction to piss) about 5 feet away, down hill, wearing sandals.

Maudlinmaud Sat 17-Jun-17 14:23:26

That's gross. What did she so with the potty contents? Push it around with her groceries? Kids need privacy too.

NannyR Sat 17-Jun-17 14:25:37

I've potty trained 11 children as a nanny and have never needed to use a potty in public like that. Apart from the first few days (when you generally stay in and close to the potty) they should be able to hold it for as long as it takes for you to sprint to the loo. Using the loo also reinforces the whole toileting behaviour thing, as in you do a wee then you flush and wash hands. Also as the PP said, you need to respect the child's need for privacy and dignity.

allegretto Sat 17-Jun-17 14:26:29

Yanbu. That's disgusting.
That's how you potty train a child

No, it's not - unless you are trying to train a child to have no respect for anyone else.

2cats2many Sat 17-Jun-17 14:27:17

That is so grim.

eurochick Sat 17-Jun-17 14:28:06

Call 101 and get it logged.

NoSquirrels Sat 17-Jun-17 14:34:42

Portable potties are for occasions when you're not near an actual toilet (park, long walk home from said park, car journey at side of road emergency stop etc). Not inside a shop!!

Small children learning when to go are a bit last minute panic, but at the stage it's now or never you stay home, and the stage after that you take them into the toilet to "try" at the beginning of the shop, and accept you may need to abandon trolley and dash if needed. Not let them pee or poo in the middle of somewhere peeing or pooing is not supposed to happen!

Billben Sat 17-Jun-17 14:37:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »