Talk

Advanced search

day 3 disaster!

(4 Posts)
PumpkinPie2016 Tue 06-Jun-17 17:15:57

Started potty training DS on Sun (he's 3.5 so late but there were reasons).

First two days we had a few accidents but with regular reminders, lots of success too!

He was at nursery yesterday and today. Yesterday, as I said was ok but today although his key worker said he did well with going to the toilet, there must be 6 sets of way clothes in his bag so lots of accidents sad

I really want to persevere as he is ready but just feeling a bit disheartened sad

Will it get better? Am I doing it wrong? Probably am so any advice would be appreciated!

justkeepswimmingg Wed 07-Jun-17 20:48:37

It will get better OP. Nursery is a completely different environment, and he is essentially learning 'twice'. I looked after a little boy who barely had 1 accident a day at home, but up to 7 a day at nursery. They are very engrossed in their play, easily distracted, try to hold it longer, and sometimes have anxiety about asking to go. At home they know where the toilet/potty is, and can take themselves or express their needs to you.
It may take a while to get in the swing of things. I know it's a big ask, but I've been asked it several times (when working in a nursery), to ask the staff to take your DS every x amount of time. Even if he says he doesn't need to go, they take him every hour or so. It will help him establish a routine too.

PumpkinPie2016 Wed 07-Jun-17 21:07:17

Thank you for the reassurance! The good news is that today he only had 1 accident all day at nursery so that's great smile they reminded him frequently in the morning but less so in the afternoon and he was fine.

At home tonight he had another accident right before bath but otherwise ok so going in the right direction!

I shall persevere smile

justkeepswimmingg Wed 07-Jun-17 22:04:53

That's great news, he's done really well! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »