Talk

Advanced search

3 yo seems ready in every respect but won't go near potty/toilet

(5 Posts)
ElspethFlashman Mon 05-Jun-17 15:55:12

The conventional advice if it it doesn't work, drop it for a month.

Tangoandcreditcards Mon 05-Jun-17 15:52:51

Snap here too. 3.3yo DS. He's definitely capable but when we went for pants for a couple of days, he held it so long he went cross eyed. He was raging too.

We've dropped the subject entirely for a month for all our sanity.

Eskerina81 Mon 05-Jun-17 15:47:57

No advice, but your daughter sounds just like my dd. Mine turned 3 in April & is clearly physically ready to train but just doesn't want to. It's infuriating!

halcyondays Mon 05-Jun-17 10:19:56

I would leave it for a while. Rewards won't work if she's just not at the point of wanting to do it.

Beyondtheshore Mon 05-Jun-17 10:10:54

Really not sure whether to carry on.

(Just turned) 3 year old DD seems ready in every way - she knows when she needs a wee or a poo, will tell us she's going and ask for a clean nappy. She can easily go a couple of hours or more between wees. Can pull up her own pants etc. She had started to get interested in her little Fisherprice toilet and would sit on it and pretend to wee / wipe her bottom.

We decided to go cold turkey on the nappies last week and see what happened. The first couple of days we had a couple of little wees on the toilet (cue big celebration, stickers etc, she was very pleased with herself.) Since then she has just been holding onto her wees as long as possible, either having a big accident (which she HATES) or holding out til she's put in nappies for a nap or bedtime. Any suggestion that she tries the toilet is met with complete resistance and I feel like we've gone backwards because she won't even go near the toilet for pretend wees etc anymore. We're now on day 5 with no progress. Rewards etc aren't doing it for her. She's generally a fairly easy going child, and eager to please, but she can also be very stubborn about certain things and is prone to be anxious.

It's clearly not that she can't, so much that she doesn't want to. My instinct is just to put her back in nappies for now but most people I've spoken to about it are saying that I should give it a bit longer, especially as she clearly CAN control herself physically so is ready in that sense. But she's SO resistant that I really feel like I'm flogging a dead horse.

I really don't know what to do for the best. Any advice? Can anyone relate? Has anyone had anything similar and successfully gone on to potty train? Would you give up for now, or carry on with it?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in