Talk

Advanced search

4 year will only poo in nappy

(6 Posts)
FullMoon072 Sun 28-May-17 11:00:59

My 4 year old won't poo in the toilet only in a nappy. She wont poo in her underwear either only a nappy. What can I do to help her use the toilet? I asked her why she wont she said incase it splashes her. I put a bit toilet roll in for her but she still refuses to even try.

thethoughtfox Sun 28-May-17 12:21:41

Tell her there's no more nappies. When it comes to poo time tell her mummy will be there for her. You could try cuddling her and saying 'Mummy is here. We can do this together' while on the toilet. I have to do this with dd when we are in public toilets.

thethoughtfox Sun 28-May-17 12:21:56

There's no more nappies left.

justkeepswimmingg Wed 31-May-17 15:44:36

I once looked after a 4/5 year old who did this. Her mum and dad put a nappy on her before bed to let her poo. It did her no favours. Tell DD that there are no more nappies. Sit with her on the toilet for as long as she needs, and reward her for trying and succeeding.
The little girl that I looked after made herself so constipated that she made herself bleed after every poo, and it scared her even more to go. It's was a nasty vicious cycle she was putting herself through, and the poos were like nothing I had ever seen. She did eventually grow more confident to use the toilet often, to at least try going. Not sure what happened after that as she started school, and I no longer cared for her. But it's definitely a habit you want to break OP.

Radishal Wed 31-May-17 15:53:50

Put the nappy open over a potty.
Start there.
Grit your teeth and make sitting on the loo loads of fun. Blow bubbles together- this makes all the right muscles work.
And wine/tea/chocolate for yourself - whatever works.

Mumofoneboy4 Thu 17-Aug-17 21:04:41

Hi. My little boy is the same. He was 4 a few weeks ago and starts school next month. He knows what to do, he knows why and he knows how. He has a genuine fear of pooing in the toilet that does not phase him with weeing at all. We've tried everything and had short lived success this week with cutting a hole in his nappy - this worked 2 days in a row and then today he is back to genuine fear of even this. I wondered if you got anywhere with your little girl and if so, how?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now