Talk

Advanced search

Almost 4 but still has to be told to go to the toilet

(3 Posts)
Dolallytats Wed 24-May-17 19:06:08

DD is 4 in a couple of months. She has been reluctant to potty train although we didn't start until she was 3. I still have to tell her to sit on the toilet several times a day and she doesn't go voluntarily (she has a couple of times but in general she only goes when I tell her) She doesn't seem bothered by wet knickers and will poo in her knickers too. She doesn't want to stop what she is doing so ignores it.

I try not to get cross and change her, explain she needs to wee and poo in the toilet and then let her go about her day. I have 'Oh for Goodness sake'd at her a few times as it is not unusual to have 2 pairs of wet knickers a day. A poo a few times a week.

She is my 3rd child but has definitely been the hardest to potty train. She is supposed to start school in September and I am worried she won't be dry or able to use the toilet to poo.

I have tried star charts, bribery with chocolate and toys, picking out lovely underwear and we seem to be no further forward.

Please help!!

user1471469504 Wed 24-May-17 19:21:47

We had a poo problem with a 3 and a half years old. He wouldn't use the toilet or pot at all for number 2s. We solved it with a star chart with a trip to the cinema at the end of it - he had never been to the cinema before. After this, we had about two more accidents and all goes well now. It's so difficult, I know but hopefully she will "get it" soon.

Crumbs1 Wed 24-May-17 19:24:48

Sometimes I think getting a little cross is no,bad thing. Greater clarity of message and understood by young child. A nice, gentle explanation doesn't sound like they're doing anything wrong. I also think they simply forget when engrossed in something so need encouragement to go at set times - before leaving home, before meals, after a drink but before leaving cafe etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now