Talk

Advanced search

4 year old seems distressed using toilet

(3 Posts)
lyssie29 Thu 27-Apr-17 12:11:24

My 4 year old daughter has been going to toilet fine for wees since September. She s never done a poo. All of a sudden she keeps asking for a potty, won't use the toilets at nursery and keeps saying she's needs a poo so she can get a nappy on but then just has a wee. I picked her up from nursery today and they said she had been crying all morning. She told me it was because she needed a poo and cried all the way home where she rushed into the bathroom and just did a wee in the potty. Not the toilet. I just dont get it.

EllenRipley Thu 27-Apr-17 12:47:29

Poo in the loo fear is quite common so don't worry. My son at that age would sit on the toilet but only with a nappy either attached to him or underneath to catch it. It was very stressful for all concerned and I tried every trick in the book to encourage him but he had a complete mental block. Eventually he one day just did it after I convinced him to let me move the nappy away but it took a looong time to get there. Hopefully that won't be the case for you! I wouldn't make a big deal of it but try small things like tipping poo from potty into the loo, getting her to sit on the loo using a kid's toilet seat to make her feel more secure, even something like getting a small potty that fits inside the loo bowl. And rewards and encouragement whenever she at least tries. Be firm but calm. I hope there'll be others along to give you some other/better tips!

EllenRipley Thu 27-Apr-17 12:49:07

Sorry I've just re-read your post and missed the bits about her just weeing so don't know if my advice is any use!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now