Talk

Advanced search

Dry at night... too soon to stop with night time nappies?

(18 Posts)
User561738489948 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:23:24

DD will be 3 in August. Started potty training 8 days ago without expecting much as she can be a nervous child, but she's done really well. After the first night she's woken up with a dry nappy every morning.

Is it too soon to not put her in nappies at night? I've heard they regress during the day at some point, so don't know if I'm just on a high from her taking to it so well, but it'll all go downhill at some point!

I read somewhere (possibly here) to put a waterproof sheet, normal sheet, waterproof sheet, normal sheet on the bed. Then the top layers can be easily whipped off if there's an accident during the night. So I'll do that when I put her to bed with no nappy.

Can anyone give me advice please?

isthistoonosy Fri 21-Apr-17 18:26:31

We had the same about the same age, DS was dry at night before daytimes. We switched to pull ups at night and told him they were paper pants rather than nappies.
If that won't work how about those cloth training pants that hold a wee with a nappy liner for reusable nappies.

Cakescakescakes Fri 21-Apr-17 18:29:53

I would also suggest pull ups at night for another couple of weeks until you are sure it isnt a fluke.

Ecureuil Fri 21-Apr-17 18:31:45

We had the same at 2.4. She was dry at night within 48 hours of starting potty training. We finished the pack of pull ups then stopped bothering. She's 3.5 now and has still never had a night time accident.

User561738489948 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:41:42

Thanks all! Sounds like it might be good to wait another couple of weeks and if she's still dry then give it a go.

lorisparkle Fri 21-Apr-17 18:45:14

Ds2 was like that, he was dry at night within a few days of toilet training. He has had perhaps two wet beds since then and he is 9 now. I would just go for it. (Ds1 on the other hand was 10 before being dry and I am waiting to have the energy to tackle night times with ds3 and he is nearly 7 so I was very relieved with ds2!)

bitteroldhag Fri 21-Apr-17 18:48:20

It does happen, you might be very very lucky!!!
Use the Pullups you have left for bed and if they are all dry when you finish the package try knickers.

beckslovestimmy Fri 21-Apr-17 18:51:47

Once DD was dry for 3 or 4 nights that was it. Stopped with nappies. Just put a mattress protector on. She never had an accident at night. Never bothered with pull ups either. I think they just confuse things.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Fri 21-Apr-17 18:53:36

I went dry at night months before I managed it in the daytime.

QuackDuckQuack Fri 21-Apr-17 19:02:04

It depends what you are up to too. We decided to keep DD1 in night time nappies until after a holiday (a couple more weeks) as I didn't fancy sorting out wet beds away from home. I'm sort of doing the same with not potty training DD2 until after a holiday, though she'd probably do fine now.

Boooooom Fri 21-Apr-17 19:22:17

Snap!! DS is 3 end of May and has been in pants for 10 days now and dry at night. Thanks for asking the question I was wondering the same.
Baby due next week so a relief!

User561738489948 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:07:09

Great timing then Boooooom! I hesitated asking the question as I know a lot of children struggle with potty training so didn't want to seem like I was boasting or something?! There's still time for it to all go wrong grin Best wishes for next week!

Lori - I thought DD would be 6/7 before being dry at night (which may still be the case as it's early days) as all other children I know have been. It's thrown me a bit that she's been dry at night really as I just didn't expect it at all!

I think I'll use some nappies up for around a week, and if all nappies are empty in the morning then I'll give it a try.

Theaprilfool Sat 22-Apr-17 02:45:46

Is she waking in the night to go and pee or is she sleeping through?

You might find that she wakes at 2am but can't get back to sleep, like one of mine did.

Taytotots Sat 22-Apr-17 03:18:25

My son decided he was ready to potty train at three (after a failed attempt a few months earlier). He was very insistent he didn't want night nappies from the first day and, to our surprise, was dry at night. We did use one of those bed pads just in case for the first while. You might be lucky.

Ecureuil Sat 22-Apr-17 06:39:25

Mine has never asked to go for a wee in the night either. She hasn't done a wee between 7pm and 7am in the 1.3 years since potty training!

OhDearToby Sat 22-Apr-17 06:59:17

My dd1 potty trained at about 2.5 and was immediately dry at night. I gave it about a week to check it was actually happening and then I stopped bothering with nappies and put down one of those disposable bed mats instead. She is 7 now and has never had an accident.

User561738489948 Sat 22-Apr-17 07:36:24

Theaprilfool - she's not waking. Just sleeping through.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone

user1492938146 Sun 23-Apr-17 10:21:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now