Talk

Advanced search

How to move from pull-ups to knickers?

(15 Posts)
NooNooMummy Mon 27-Mar-17 22:05:31

My 3 year is doing really well with potty-training (finally!!!! after many stop-start months... Her losing interest in it... Outright refusal etc).

She now catches most of wees in the potty at home and even poos in the potty too. She has control and can hold it in until she gets to the potty - even when we're out and nearly home. But she totally refuses to use toilets when we're out and about. And, although she often uses the toilet at nursery, she's sometimes had a wee in her pull-ups there.

How do I get her to the next stage of catching every single wee and poo in a potty/ toilet?!

I don't want to take her out in big girl pants and have her getting distressed if she has an accident, particularly at nursery where most of her classmates have been out of nappies for ages.

Advice, please!!

Vinorosso74 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:12:19

I think it's best just to bite the bullet and go to knickers. Google potette potty to take out and about-can be potty or loo seat.
Are you able to have 2 or 3 days at home just using knickers so she gets used to them? Pull ups are basically nappies so best to stop using them if she's ready.

NooNooMummy Mon 27-Mar-17 22:17:43

Thanks. I've got one of this potette things - she refuses to sit on it 🙄. Might be worth a try again tho' ... And, at least, it probably won't be as uncomfortable being wet now the weather's getting warmer. I guess I need to but the bullet!

NooNooMummy Mon 27-Mar-17 22:18:15

Bite the bullet even...

ChocChocPorridge Mon 27-Mar-17 22:29:13

DS1 refused (and still at nearly 7 would really, really, really rather not poo) to use a toilet outside the house for about 2 years after he was potty trained - infact we only just got him off the toilet seat insert - and only because his bum couldn't physically fit on it any more!. I just took him out in pants, encouraged him to try (as he held onto me with a death grip in fear of falling in), and commiserated if it didn't work out (he's still in nappies at night - a year after his younger brother became reliably dry with no effort on DS2's own part - but us being supportive means DS1's not distressed over it - although he's starting to realise it's not quite normal)

DS2 couldn't care less - he dangles his tiny bum, solo, over any normal adult seat fearlessly.

I'm afraid I think this is one of those things where they're all different and you have to play it by ear.

Theaprilfool Tue 28-Mar-17 18:19:44

As long as she's going in the place that matter home and school I don't think there is any reason to rush removing the pullups when out of the house.

Does she have full weeks of being clean / dry?

JennyjENjENJenny Tue 28-Mar-17 19:08:07

we still use pullups when outside with my 4 year old, there's so many distractions for a little kid that they forget.

greatbigwho Tue 28-Mar-17 19:14:14

We've found the Dry Like Me pads were great for a bit of extra reassurance the first couple of times we went out - basically toddler Tena!

JennyjENjENJenny Wed 29-Mar-17 19:18:24

We tried pads (But not dry like me) they tended to move too much when pulling pants up and down for successful visits to the toilet.

ilovepixie Wed 29-Mar-17 19:52:09

* (he's still in nappies at night*

Your 7 year old is still in nappies at night??

JennyjENjENJenny Wed 29-Mar-17 19:55:47

7 is actually not the uncommon for bed-wetting ilove, in fact it's the age doctors will start considering it an issue and put you on a waiting list to see an continence nurse.

mycatloveslego Wed 29-Mar-17 19:58:21

I let my DS choose his own special pants (Spider-Man, I think!) He loved them and was very careful not to wet himself. I think it taught him that he could 'hold on' for a bit and didn't have to wee as soon as he got the feeling. We just took a few spare clothes with us when out and about. TBH I don't recall more than a couple of accidents and although he was a bit upset when they did happen i think it actually helped him move forward to being completely dry.

JustAnotherSilentOldNumber Wed 29-Mar-17 20:35:12

Your 7 year old is still in nappies at night??

doctors won't even see a child for bedwetting until they are 7. What do you suggest people do in the years until then, let them sleep in a pissy bed?

ilovepixie Wed 29-Mar-17 23:10:49

I was only wondering because I wasn't sure if it was a typo or not. I understand bed wetting I had this problem when I was a child but I wasn't put in nappies and I don't know how I would of felt being made to wear nappies when I wasn't a baby.

NooNooMummy Thu 30-Mar-17 20:49:20

I heard somewhere that lots of children don't have full blade control until 7.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions about my 3 year old. I think I'm going to bite the bullet at some point but not until we've had a few weeks of no accidents at home and no wees in the pull ups at nursery. Nearly there!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now