Talk

Advanced search

Toilet training resources

(18 Posts)
Chickpearocker Thu 23-Mar-17 13:36:15

Hi guys

Where do I start!! Any recommendations for books or videos, or what equipment I need and where to buy it. I feel overwhelmed at the thought of potty training and dreading it. My ds is 2 years and 3 months it feels very early to be training him.

TittyGolightly Thu 23-Mar-17 13:38:02

Wait till he is ready. That's going to be 3 or possibly later.

Presumably you didn't have a regime to get him walking by a set date, you waited for him to be ready. No difference with potty learning.

Janet Lansbury has good articles on it.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 23-Mar-17 13:40:06

All I used was a potty and patience!!
Left the potty around in general from when ds could walk!! He is 2.6 and great on it for a wee. Just about sorted mastering the poo too!

Chickpearocker Thu 23-Mar-17 14:09:49

Tittygolightly I said to my health visitor I was waiting for him to be ready, she said he is ready if he is tugging at his nappy and having less nappies in a day because that means he's holding?! She was quite cross that I hadn't started already. I do have a potty one that sings but he's using it as a toy

TittyGolightly Thu 23-Mar-17 16:14:18

Health visitors suck in my experience. My friend is one. She happily spent over a year training her little one. I waited till DD asked for pants etc and was done in less than a week. Hers regularly has accidents years later whilst mine has had no problems.

I wouldn't take her advice about anything.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 23-Mar-17 18:35:08

I keep saying this on here but it's the only advice I have - I was recommended the Oh Crap potty training book and have found it really good. The rationale made sense so we went with it. Just trained DD who is 23 months. Good luck!

bitteroldhag Thu 23-Mar-17 19:13:41

I'm also a big believer in waiting until they are ready.

Chickpearocker Thu 23-Mar-17 19:16:32

Thank you teaandbiscuits will have a look at that book, the big question is how do you know when they are ready? Will they ask to use the potty ?

Ecureuil Thu 23-Mar-17 19:21:01

When DD1 was 2.3 she said 'I don't want to wear nappies anymore, I want to wee on the toilet like a big girl'. That's how I knew she was ready! Bar the very odd accident she was dry within 48 hours.

Ghostofasmile Thu 23-Mar-17 19:23:10

sometimes they do, other times you just tend to know by the amount of interest they have in the toilet, how much they can follow instructions and understand rewards and if they are able to be reasoned with.

It's easier to explain the concept to a 3 year old than a 2 year old.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 23-Mar-17 19:24:35

DD started shouting no every time I tried to change her nappy. She had no idea she needed a wee or anything like that but got it within a couple days. She was just insistent she didn't want nappies any more! If you get the book, she talks about when she considers a child to be ready.

jazzandh Thu 23-Mar-17 19:45:03

when you change her nappy sit her on the toilet for a few minutes with a book/toy and see what happens.

DS1 had no signs, but I was fed up with changing nappies - so I stripped him off put a few pottys about downstairs and sat him on every so often. Once I caught a wee he was "rewarded" - think we did banana chips and that was it. 2 days and he was clean and dry in the day. He was 22 months.

I do take the point that at 3 or whenever it may be quicker, but that ca be a whole years worth of nappies to change! Give it a go!

TittyGolightly Thu 23-Mar-17 19:51:12

I'm going to enrol DC (6) for A levels. Balls to waiting till she's 18. Who has time for that?!

organixeveryday Thu 23-Mar-17 20:02:10

I've been offering the potty at every nappy change to DS 17 months for a month or so now. He regularly does wees , but a poo is yet to appear.
He has 3 nappies a day, wake up, lunch and bedtime

organixeveryday Thu 23-Mar-17 20:02:47

Oh and he asks for "potty" and knows "wee and pooooooo"

jazzandh Thu 23-Mar-17 20:16:08

Well I'm guessing that it takes a little more time and effort to "train" a child earlier rather than later which is why some parents chose to wait until a child is "ready".

the current determination of "ready" being when a child is old enough to feel disgust at sitting in a bulky wet and dirty nappy and "asks" to use a toilet!

Can't say that either of mine seem to have suffered for it, it just made life for them a little more pleasant really. As a parent I had the "inconvenience" of taking a travel potty about or making sure they had "done a wee" before they went anywhere...but really not a big deal.

Chickpearocker Thu 23-Mar-17 20:42:07

I think I will wait a few months, he gets very upset if he wets himself on the occasion that I haven't put him in a nappy, I really don't want him upset. Thanks for the replies guys.

user1492938146 Sun 23-Apr-17 10:28:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now