Talk

Advanced search

3 year old wetting the bed

(5 Posts)
Trinpy Sat 18-Mar-17 16:04:09

Ds is almost 3 and has been potty trained during the day since 2.3. We kept him in nappies at night up until towards the end of January when I forgot to put one on him one night (and I couldn't remember the last time he'd had a wet nappy in the morning so I thought he'd probably be ok) and we didn't bother using them from then on. He's been fine every night since then until yesterday morning when he woke up about 6am with a soaking wet bed. Same thing happened this morning.

Does this mean he should still be in nappies at night? Or should we just limit his drinks at bedtime? He has a beaker of water next to his bed at night which I know he drinks from overnight. I don't want to start waking him up at night to take him to the toilet when he's previously been able to stay dry through the night.

MrsT2007 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:07:50

Mine did this.

Put him back in nappies at night, he's still very little.

Dryness at night is hormonal not trainable so you just have to wait until they do it.

Try lifting at 11pm for a dream wee and see if that helps.

If we lift, we have dry nights. If not, wet nappy will happen.

I'm not bothered though, I know it'll happen soon enough that we have dry nights.

wonkylegs Sat 18-Mar-17 16:24:12

Sounds like a little bit of regression but it's only 2 nights after a really good run so I wouldn't react too dramatically they may be a bit tired, had a bad night or just drank too much.
I would make sure they have a good wee before bed, go to bed not too late and don't drink too much in the evening and that they are well settled (not too hot or cold)
It's a good age for them too get potty training but night time is hormonal so is different for every child and can't be forced but if they have had a good run of it, it sounds like they've probably got it and it's just a short term regression. If after a week you are still struggling I would say give yourself a break and go back to nappies for a while and then try again.

Trinpy Sat 18-Mar-17 17:04:45

Thanks. I think he's been dry at night for about 3 or 4 months before this, so I really thought we were past the nappy stage.

I don't really want to start getting into the habit of lifting him at this stage when I know he can go through the night.

I think I might try one more night without nappies and make sure he's having a wee right before bed and restrict how much he has to drink this evening. If he's wet again in the morning I'll go back to nappies.

Trinpy Sun 19-Mar-17 11:01:06

He had a last drink with dinner last night and I made him have a wee right before bed and it worked! He was dry all night smile. I think we just need to be a bit more careful with making sure he has a proper wee right before he goes to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now