Talk

Advanced search

Becoming dry at night. Advice please

(4 Posts)
picturesfadeaway Mon 06-Mar-17 13:36:37

My DS has been potty drained during the day for almost 18 months but still wears a nappy to bed. He is 3.5 years old now so I feel it's time we try and get him dry at night too.

At the moment his nappies are still very wet in the mornings so I'm not sure if he's ready? Are there any tips/ advice on helping him become dry at night? My other DS was potty trained much later but was dry day and night right away so this is new to me.

Thanks!

Rollercoasteryears Tue 07-Mar-17 21:58:49

Came across your question as thinking about posting similar! My understanding is that a specific hormone has to kick in, or there's no point even trying - and that hormone can naturally kick in up to age 7 or 8 I think... So at 3.5, I definitely wouldn't worry. My DD is nearly 6 and still wet almost every night, hence my query - but I think I know the answer is not to worry for now (my DD was dry at night almost as soon as he was during the day, so again a new situation for me!)

katplva Tue 07-Mar-17 22:23:35

I think Rollercoaster is right and there's no point trying too early before the hormone has kicked in. But if you feel that he's ready then the obvious things would be to make sure he doesn't drink too much in the evening, goes to the toilet before bed, and be prepared for a wet bed - try waterproof sheets or a bed pad. Talk to him beforehand so he knows that he can run to the toilet any time.

For DD I ignored all this advice grin as we accidentally forgot to put on her pullup one night when she was just 4. She had previously had wet pullups every morning, but that night she somehow realised that she needed to hold on until morning. I was pretty surprised but she was dry from that night on. So if you could give it a try, you never know!

Nicpem1982 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:49:22

My dd is dry she's 2.5.

However she made the decision not to wear a pull ups in the day, We monitored her pull ups overnight after a while and she was dry for 6 weeks continually so we made the switch.

She has a waterproof mattress protector and a removable padded one just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now