Talk

Advanced search

3 year old no solid poo

(11 Posts)
meeerkat Sun 12-Feb-17 11:05:41

Hello,

My 3 year old is doing well with PT, wees on the potty 9/10 times, dry nappies most mornings and can go out for short trips without nappies but there is one thing holding us back.

Poo.

She always asks for a nappy to poo whether we are home or not. I always offer the potty but i always put her a nappy on straight away when she says no.

The problem I think, is her poo is not often properly solid. It's not liquid, but more soft and mushy.

Her diet is varied, she eats well, usually 3-5 a day of fruit and veg depending on her moodwink, never has stomach ache, never vomits, is rarely poorly, so until recently I've just put it down to something that toddlers do and expected it so solidify with age.

She usually poos once every 1-2 days.

Would you consider this normal? Common? Have other people's kids been like this and found it eventually went more solid?

Should I be concerned about allergies or intolerances? See a doctor?

Because she is always 'well' it's never really been a cause for concern until I thought about the logistics of doing it on a potty!

Thanks!

meeerkat Sun 12-Feb-17 12:38:22

Bump

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Sun 12-Feb-17 12:49:58

I'm following this with interest. My DS is almost two and has never done a solid poo. Always mush like you describe. I have always put it down to breastfeeding but we have stopped that about a week ago and it hasn't gone solid.

As far as I'm aware it's actually a pretty healthy consistency. Hard stools can make children reluctant to poo because it can hurt.

meeerkat Sun 12-Feb-17 13:23:48

Interesting!

I didn't breast feed and she hasn't had milk as a drink for a long time, she eats dairy stuff but not excessively.

Interested to hear what others say! Hopefully others will be along smile

Wondermoomin Sun 12-Feb-17 13:31:16

It might not be the same thing but... google toddler diarrhoea and see if it sounds familiar. It's dietary related. We worked out that one of my children was not getting enough dairy as she was refusing any cows milk after stopping breastfeeding. Too much fibre (too much fruit for example) can also be a culprit.

abbsisspartacus Sun 12-Feb-17 13:36:26

My son was like this he has a slight lactose intolerance but the doctor recommended I persist with it as his symptoms were mild he is now doing solid poo and he is four

Perhaps nappy on and sit on the potty? Teach her to squat and poo then slowly remove the nappy

Squeezed Sun 12-Feb-17 13:40:20

Could be toddler's diarrhoea. does the poo have undigested food in it because that can be a sign. We increased dairy and fibre and cut down fruit which has helped. Also no fruit juice/squash.

meeerkat Sun 12-Feb-17 13:51:30

I've heard of toddler diarrhoea actually!

No undigested food, just mushy!

Will maybe make a GP appointment, maybe I will get to see a dietitian and get a bit of advice how to play around with her diet.

Wondermoomin Sun 12-Feb-17 14:16:21

My daughter didn't have any undigested food in it so absence of that doesn't necessarily rule out toddler diarrhoea. I guess it depends on your GP but I'd be surprised if you got a dietitian referral with the constraints the NHS is under... your child is eating well and isn't ill... we got a print out about toddler diarrhoea from the internet and advised to have a read and see what changes we could make. Hopefully you manage to get it sorted out soon.

RedBugMug Sun 12-Feb-17 14:20:34

sounds absolutely normal to me tbh.
so I wouldn't waste a gp appointment unless there were other concerns like slow growth and weightgain, tiredness, paleness...

InTheDessert Sun 12-Feb-17 14:21:08

Cutting back on fruit solidified DSs poo. He was probably only on 5-7 servings a day, but the portions were too large. A fruit portion is the size of a fist - pretty small for a toddler. Ours was a piece of fruit.....
I was the mum saying, no dear, you can't have an apple, what about some toast or a biscuit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now