Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

withholding poo!

(8 Posts)
Clayton92 Wed 08-Feb-17 14:07:00

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any advice as I feel like I'm living a nightmare at the minute, my daughter has just turned 3 in December. she has frequent water infections because of constipation! they said this is caused by her withholding her poo and not wanting to poo, which I don't understand as she was doing so well on the potty!! she has been prescribed movicol since October ad still seems to be having several accidents. its getting us all so frustrated as she just doesn't understand wether its in her pants or the toilet its coming from the same place sad.
even the nursery has said now if shes too covered I have to go in to change her. just wondering if anyone has any advice how to get her out of this horrible habbit..

Stepmum123 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:23:18

So was she pooing fine on the potty then moved to the toilet and then the s**t hit the fan? Or just randomly she started witholding her poo? DsS now 3 also witheld his poo during the transition from potty to toilet. Turned out the potty and toilet training seat were too uncomfortable as soon as he tried sitting on the adult toilet seat it was much more comfortable for him

Could you take her back to the potty to get her regular like she was before whilst also stopping those laxatives? Movicol literally stimulates the muscles of the bowel into action so of course she's having accidents, the movicol is forcing the poo out whether she likes it or not. Obviously it does need to come out but rather on the potty the natural way than by medication. When DSS was very constipated we got him drinking lots of water with every meal so there was lots of fluid mixed in with the food in his stomach and gut and once the hard poo came out the stuff that followed was much easier to pass.

carries Tue 14-Feb-17 22:29:35

I had the same problem with my 2 eldest daughters. You have my sympathy. Please don't make a fuss over accidents, it's usually overflow that squeezes past a hard bit of poo. She might have a huge hard bit of poo stuck there. How much movicol is she on? Minimise accidents, lots of fluid and fruit like kiwi & oranges, put her on the toilet about 15 mins after each meal for as long as she'll sit or until she poos - that can help create a pooing habit.

carries Tue 14-Feb-17 22:33:31

I found this website useful. Withholding poo is unbelieveably common! All the very best!

mycatloveslego Tue 14-Feb-17 22:41:41

I had the same problem with my DS. Tried all the usual stuff, lactose, movicol etc. What really seemed to do the trick for him was a story on an app called Poo goes to Pooland. He was so keen to get on the toilet after we had read it. If you have a smartphone it's worth a try!

Clayton92 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:57:27

She has her own little size toilet, loves it for wees just will not use anything to poo! Hospital said there's a large stool stuck in her bowels so have to do a flush out til her poo is literally clear water. So hard xx

Clayton92 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:57:59

Going to try the app too thanks. I'll try anything to help! What's too loose x

nursebickypegs Mon 20-Feb-17 22:00:22

Sounds silly but what do you think has caused it? I read a similar story somewhere where a little girl was terrified of having a poo, and it stemmed from a silly YouTube kids video where someone did a poo and the toilet overflowed. The little girl was scared of all the water coming out of the toilet and didn't want the same to happen at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now