Talk

Advanced search

Potty trained three year old needs a wee ALL the time

(7 Posts)
peachypear Mon 06-Feb-17 22:18:57

For example: half hour music class. Goes for a wee at home before we leave, when we arrive, during, after, and when we get home. It's a tiny amount of wee. Picked her up from preschool after lunch and was told she went to the toilet 12 times in a morning.

Took her to the doctors last week to make sure it isn't a bladder infection. It's not, which means it's psychological / anxiety and I'm lost as to what to do. I have 1 yr old twins who are becoming more demanding so wondered if it's attention seeking. The doctor said it will take time but I need to help her realise that feeling a little twinge of potentially needing a wee is OK, the bladder can hold a bit more. Since potty training she has only had two accidents. Both caused by being completely engrossed in a film and a puzzle. She can hold it for a long time if she has to (hates noisy hand dryers) but now it's become a 'thing' and it's relentless. Tried distraction and it doesn't work, or it works for a couple of minutes before 'I need a wee, I need a wee...'

Does anyone have experience of this or something similar? Any tips?! After a twin pregnancy and now this I am a pro at finding a toilet in a hurry grin

NotWithoutMyMerkin Mon 06-Feb-17 22:21:02

Can she take herself to the loo? If it stops being a way she can get your time/attention (and that is the reason) perhaps she might get bored? That's possibly terrible advice though

peachypear Tue 07-Feb-17 13:49:13

No not bad advice at all, thanks for replying. We bought a great step/ loo seat contraption from Argos and there's a step by the sink for hand washing so she can go alone at home. I don't think it is for attention, perhaps it's more anxiety based. I'm hoping it's just another phase that passes quickly! Thanks for thinking about it

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 07-Feb-17 18:38:45

It's not quite the same but dd2 always asks to go to the loo when we are out but that's out of interest in the loo and for attention when she's bored. Is she def doing all of her wee when she does go? (Dd went through a phase of starting a wee then stopping it and needing another one soon after)

DoraChance Tue 07-Feb-17 18:42:46

Could you fill a balloon with water to show her how the bladder works? Saw it on CBeebies!

peachypear Tue 07-Feb-17 20:19:40

Thank you very much for the ideas. I'll try the balloon idea (was that on Get Well Soon?!) tomorrow. It is just a tiny bit of wee that comes out each time but I'm not sure if she's stopping it. It's the kind of thing she'd tell me she's doing (loves a good commentary) and she's not mentioned it. She is very interested in where the toilets are and whether they have hand dryers or not... perhaps it's all linked to that and has become a little obsession.

Thanks everyone! I'll get to the bottom of this grin

DoraChance Tue 07-Feb-17 22:13:05

Think it was My First, it followed a little girl potty training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now