Talk

Advanced search

23 month old boy-should I try training yet

(10 Posts)
Mol1628 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:28:24

He's been showing signs this week. Pretending to wee on the toilet like his big brother. Telling me when he has done a poo. He's been making his doll and his teddy go to the toilet too.

I took his nappy off this afternoon and sat him on the potty and he didn't wee. But every time I asked him to come and get his Nappy on he ran off and sat back on the potty.

He then had a 2.5 hour nap, and when he woke his nappy was totally dry so I put him on he potty and he did a wee! We praised him of course.

But after that I left his nappy off and he had a couple of accidents.

Not sure if this is too early, and if I should just wait till he's a bit more sure? My other son showed no signs then I started at 29 months and he was really good from day one.

Not sure if I'm just wasting my time trying this early with him.

Thanks for reading!

Artandco Thu 26-Jan-17 19:32:57

Both mine (boys), were trained by 18 months, so I wouldn't say it's too early at all.

isthistoonosy Thu 26-Jan-17 19:32:58

We've tried with both kids at around two yrs as they showed signs similar to.yours. Asked for potty for poos and could wee if sat on the potty. Neither took to.it but I think for the older one (little isn't trained yet) it helped when he did train as he then knew how to pee standing, what and where the potty was, understood being wet wasn't nice etc etc
No harm in giving it a go Imo

Mol1628 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:36:42

Ah ok thanks. I'm staying home tomorrow anyway so might give it a go again.

I guess with him being younger, and a totally different personality it's going to be a different process to my older son.

Crumbs1 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:38:26

Personally, with boys I'd wait a while. My experience of early training is their parents just have more washing from 'accidents'. I'd be tempted to wait until warmer weather when less clothing to cope with. My boys were from nappies tomdrynday and night in three days because they were physically and cognitively ready.

Mol1628 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:40:53

Yeah that's the thing my son was fully trained Day and night in a week as well.

Artandco Thu 26-Jan-17 19:42:37

Crumbs - that's not always true. Ds1 was 15 months and fully trained in day. Ds 18 months and dry day and night. When I say dry, I mean no pissy pants at all after that.

ArriettyClock1 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:45:02

I think it depends entirely on the child and if he is showing you signs then I would go for it.

My eldest announced to me, the day after his second birthday, that he didn't want to wear nappies anymore (we had been to see friends who had a slightly older child and he was captivated by all the sitting on a potty that was going on).

I went along with him and it was as easy as that! No accidents, nothing. I think he loved using the potty so much - he was parking himself on there more than I might've done. He continued to wear a nappy at night for another six months.

My younger son was slower - he was 2.5 before he wanted to use a potty. But he was even easier than the first in that he was dry at night from then on too.

Mol1628 Fri 27-Jan-17 08:16:15

Thanks. So difficult to know what to do isn't it. I'm giving it a go today to assess what he does. If he's not interested then I'll leave it for a few more months.

Mol1628 Fri 27-Jan-17 08:54:28

Well after this morning it seems like he understands the theory but can't understand when he's about to wee and getting on the potty. And he doesn't seem to notice or care when he has wet. So I think I'll wait till summer.
Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now