Talk

Advanced search

DS wetting the bed after being dry at night for over a year

(7 Posts)
NutBiscuit Tue 03-Jan-17 11:04:13

DS (3.9) has been dry day and night for over a year now. He was actually dry overnight (but still in nappies) before we attempted potty training during the day time. We left him in nappies overnight for a couple of months after he was potty trained, and then removed the night time nappies as well. Since then we have had zero accidents, day or night, until about 2 weeks ago. Since then, he has wet the bed about 4 or 5 times.

He appears to be doing it in his sleep (as opposed to waking up and not bothering/wanting to get up to use the toilet), as he is always surprised in the morning when he wakes up and is wet.

Has anyone else had experience of a previously dry DC starting to wet the bed again?

I don't know if I should take him to the GP to check for a UTI or something?

Would you put him back in pull-ups overnight or just let him keep wetting (at the moment it's happening every 3-4 nights)?

Thanks for any advice/experience!

NutBiscuit Wed 04-Jan-17 08:44:24

Hopeful bump.....

alezas Fri 06-Jan-17 20:45:24

I personally would put him in a pull up temporarily, just for your ease and his comfort. Also I think a gp visit to test for a uti would be sensible. If that comes back clear maybe try and encourage more water during the day then limit evening drinks. Some people say no drinks after 5 but I can never manage this with mine, they are always so thirsty! Good luck!

MyWineTime Fri 06-Jan-17 21:07:54

During the time that he has been dry during the night, was he waking up if he needed to wee?

Could he be constipated?

NutBiscuit Mon 09-Jan-17 10:38:22

Ooh sorry, didn't realise people had replied!

MyWineTime - no, in the year that he has been dry he has never woken up at night to wee. He was never desperate in the mornings either, in fact we had to make him go to the toilet otherwise he would happily go for hours after getting up without going for a wee. He doesn't drink lots (that's another issue), so I did wonder if he had actually just never needed to wee at night, and hasn't actually truly been "dry" in the sense that he would wake if he needed to wee.

He's not constipated. We had that issue over a year ago (pre-potty training) and he's been on a low dose of lactulose ever since. Thankfully no issues with pooing for months now.

Femp2012 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:40:14

Take him to the toilet in his sleep when you go to bed. Worked a treat for us. And limiting drinks to a small drink with dinner and only a little water if he ask for it before bedtime.

StonesinMyPocket Mon 09-Jan-17 10:42:54

Worms.
It causes unexplained bedwetting.
Google how to check for them as it's too early in the morning for me to explain and I've had a couple of episodes. envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now