Talk

Advanced search

1st nappy free night, almost 3yr old

(5 Posts)
Lalunya85 Mon 12-Dec-16 19:59:06

DS will be 3 at the end of January and has been potty trained during the day since August. He never has accidents, and the potty training itself was pretty stress free.

We have kept a nappy on at night up until now. We always take him to the toilet for a night wee at 11pm and he goes every time. Without waking. His nappy has been dry in the morning for a few weeks (I think! I find it hard to tell sometimes, but it definitely isn't very heavy).

Is it too early to take off nappies at night or do we have a chance here? I wouldn't rush it and would be happy to wait but he has an infection on his penis (being treated) which is really hurting him at night and it seems that the nappy makes it worse... So i Have just taken it off, and hoping for the best.

Any suggestions on how to make this transition work would be appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
confusedandemployed Mon 12-Dec-16 20:01:08

Give it a bash. Sounds promising.

DD is 4 in February and nowhere near ready. In fact she's barely reliable in the day. not jealous at all no no not me

Fitzsimmons Mon 12-Dec-16 20:05:33

My understanding is (and hopefully other posters will be able to confirm or elaborate) that it is a hormonal thing, and that his readiness will be according to that level of hormone. So essentially there isn't a lot you can do as he either is physically ready or he isn't. That being said if his nappies are usually dry in the morning then there is a good chance that he is ready. We waited until we had one week of dry nappies before we tried our son without for the first time and haven't looked back since. He has wet the bed on occasion, usually when ill or we know he had a big drink late on.

One thing you can do to make accidents easier to clean up is double up your sheets. So waterproof sheet, cotton sheet, then 2nd waterproof sheet, 2nd cotton sheet, so you can then quickly remove the top two layers and still have a made bed if needed. Good luck!

Sierra259 Mon 12-Dec-16 20:11:10

My friend's DS was dry day and night within a month aged just over 3. My DD is nearly 4, generally good during the day except when she can't be arsed to stop what she's doing and go to the loo but very unpredictable with pull-up dryness overnight.

I think it sounds very promising for your DS and they're just ready when they're ready. Hope it goes well!

Lalunya85 Mon 12-Dec-16 20:40:35

Thanks for your replies! Sounds like a vote of confidence overall so I'm crossing my fingers for tonight...

Interesting about the hormonal aspect to this, I didn't realise that's how it worked. Makes sense though, as writing at night is not a conscious thing I guess, in contrast to using the loo during the day.

And fitz that's a really good idea regarding the sheets! That way I don't have to faff about too much in the middle of the night in case he has an accident. His baby sister sleeps in the same room so wouldn't want to wake her...

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »