Talk

Advanced search

Potty Training - do we carry on?

(6 Posts)
Latium123 Sat 05-Nov-16 13:12:29

DD is 2.2 and we considered her ready for potty training - good speech and understanding, we can reason with her, has been trying potty for a couple of months, no longer wants to wear nappies etc. Anyway, we started this morning by putting her into pants, have been putting her on potty / toilet every half hour or so. So far she has done nothing in the potty and has had four accidents. We have praised her sitting on potty / toilet and reassured her when she has an accident. We have a sticker chart too.

So basically, zero success rate so far. Have we started too early? Should we abandon or do you think it is worth carrying on and hoping it clicks in a few days / weeks? I just can't imagine she will be any more ready developmentally unless of course she is just not physically ready yet. Thoughts / experience would be much appreciated.

Soubriquet Sat 05-Nov-16 13:15:36

I didn't do it with dd until she 3.4

We had no success on the first day, one or two on the second, but by day 4 she cracked it

angelopal Sat 05-Nov-16 13:18:14

We just tried dd 2.8 but gave up after 2 days. She just wasnt ready and was getting upset. We will try again in a couple of months.

CountryFeedback Sat 05-Nov-16 13:30:58

Day one with my ds was like that,by 5pm I was ready to go back to nappies and try again another time. Then as I was dishing up dinner,he shouted me and had done a big wee on the potty!i made a big deal of it and he's been going ever since. Day 2 he had a few accidents in the morning,but was back on it by afternoon. Day 3 he had got it. We're now on day 6 and no accidents at all for the last few days. He's 2.8. We just explained about big boy pants and using the potty now. Then kept asking him if he needed a wee all day. Now he is just taking himself and I only remind him if we're out.

CountryFeedback Sat 05-Nov-16 13:33:32

I'd stick with it for at least a couple of days. Although if she's getting upset might be best to try again another time. It takes a bit for them to link the feeling of needing a wee with getting on the potty.

Latium123 Sun 06-Nov-16 13:41:51

thanks guys. we carried on and had more success in the afternoon using a sticker book to encourage her to sit on potty. we made a huge fuss when she managed a wee wee on the potty and she seems happy to carry on so i think we will and hope it all comes together soon. the poo accidents are grim though!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now