Talk

Advanced search

My 2yr old has started to potty train himself. Help.

(7 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Sun 23-Oct-16 08:34:13

He is 2 and 2 months.
We bought a potty a month ago when he started to tell us when he was weeing/pooing (but after he had already done it) just to get him used to it.

This morning went in to get him and he was immediately telling me he that he needed to go and that he wanted his potty.

Got him the potty, sat him on it and read him some stories to distract him.
And tadarrrrrr, he went. Fab.

But what do I do now? I work 3 days and he goes to nursery for 2 days, I haven't got time to take a week off to concentrate solely on potty training bad mum

Any advice would be appreciated smile

NapQueen Sun 23-Oct-16 08:37:31

Let him go round the house pant less on the days you are there and staying in.

Buy some pull ups so when you are out you can regularly take him to the loo easily.

Tell Nursery and send him in pull ups but ask what their procedure is - they will work with you if they know you are potty training

bettybyebye Sun 23-Oct-16 08:59:13

Nursery should be able to help train him. My DS announced one Monday morning that he was only wearing big boy pants and no more nappies (age 2.10). He goes to nursery Monday- Thursday so I just sent him in wearing pants with A LOT of spare clothes, and he did fantastically, only one accident all week and then completely dry.

If he is ready to do it, my advice would be not to delay because of nursery. If anything that may help as he may see the older children being taken to the toilet. Good luck!

TheFlyingFauxPas Sun 23-Oct-16 09:07:35

Bless him. He's a little star isn't he 😊 It would be so mean not to let him as he's so keen. He sounds ready and you're3/4 of the way there. I say go for it. Go out and buy masses of pants just in case. (about 20 pairs) I wouldn't use pullups as they're the same as nappies so very confusing. Just make sure some things like car seats at waterproofed. Those bed mats are excellent for this kind if thing. Take a potty out with you. Tell nursery and away you go 😊 If 2 weeks on and you've got nowhere then would be the time to say we're not ready and leave it a few months but you can't delay just because you can't go for your plan. Sounds like you don't need it anyway. 😊

AuntieStella Sun 23-Oct-16 09:12:09

You really don't need an intensive week with a child who is self training.

Tell the nursery what is going on, and send in pants as well as pull ups.

Ilovenannyplum Sun 23-Oct-16 09:40:32

I've got Peppa pull ups already, I think for now, I'll just stick him in those.

Can I just every half hour or so stick him on the potty and ask if he needs a wee or do I need to just leave it until he tells me?

I was going to wait until the new year before I started pushing it. We're getting married in December and I really need him to not have an accident in his wedding outfit! I guess he knows best and if he wants to do it now then we will smile

His 'nemo toilet' or 'potty with a nemo picture on' to everyone else is his favourite thing this morning. He wants to tell everyone about it!

nephrofox Sun 23-Oct-16 10:51:44

For me, the 2 key tricks to learn are 1) being able to tell when he needs to go with enough time to get there and 2) being able to wee on demand when asked to (i.e. Before a car journey etc). So just work on those for now, ask him if he needs to go before you go out/meals etc and then leave him to tell you if he needs it at other times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now