starting potty training 2.5 year old DS tomorrow - any buddies?

(6 Posts)
dodi1978 Mon 04-Jan-16 16:43:47

I am planning to start potty training my 2.5 year old DS tomorrow and am hoping for some buddies who are planning to do the same!

My Christmas leave ends next Monday, so I am hoping we sort of crack it in the six days we've got... but have so many questions still!

So far I have
- introduced pull ups last week - which was met with some resistance initially, but eventually accepted
- hidden nappies and put big boy pants at the place where nappies used to be...
- put up new sticker reward chart, event through he doesn't seem to be too motivated by stickers

So many questions remain though!
- I have a full day at home tomorrow and am not planning to go out at all. Am expecting some initial resistance to big boy pants. How do I handle this? - DS is happy to sit on the potty, but has not made a wee on it for ages. What can I expect tomorrow? I am hoping that, as wetting his trousers is more uncomfortable, he will quickly understand that weeing on the potty is nicer... but how many accidents will it take? Any experiences?
- I have agreed to meet some friends with similar age kids at soft play on Wednesday morning. Shall I just put him back into pull ups for that occasion? Not ideal, I know, but I didn't want to sit all week at home (am working full time, so have limited amount of time to meet up with friends and haven't seen them for ages).

Anyway, any experiences and buddies welcome!

miarosemum Fri 08-Jan-16 11:04:30

Hi dodi, so we started yesterday with 2.9 year old ds. He has been showing signs for a while and telling me things like "poo poo coming mummy!"
We said goodbye to the nappies yesterday morning and put on his new pants. I let him choose which ones he wanted to wear. I explained that wee wee is for potty and to tell me when wee wee is coming. So far no success, we haven't caught a single one but he has been telling me it's coming.
I think we just need buckets loads of patience and to persevere. How is ds getting on now on Day 5?

Hazeydays Sun 10-Jan-16 00:30:26

hello ladies, how are you getting on with the potty training?any joy

we are trying to train dd who is 27 months. little or no success but i feel like i havent been giving it full attention and be wholeheartedly embracing the concept.

also dd doesnt want to sit on potty for too long, any ideas how to bribe her, how long have you gone before success? im not sure if she is ready ,i think she is just that she is too scatty/impatient to sit on pot for any length of time.

is there light at the end of the tunnel?

dodi1978 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:18:12

Hi,

I am afraid to say we have given up - I spent two days with constant cries of "It's wet" and associated washing... no real sing of any awareness of what is happening. As I only had two days of annual leave left, I then decided to enjoy those with the young man rather than insisting on continuing. However, on Thursday last week he squeezed out a little wee after promises of a toy car (this is after sitting on the potty for an hour), on Friday I caught the tail end of a wee on the potty and on Saturday he duly delivered a poo.... half on the potty, half on the floor, but oh hey, picking up that toy was just more important at the time...

As I won't have any extended annual leave till Easter, I will have to leave it till then. At least we have made progress in terms of acceptance of pull ups and big boy pants, and I'll try for some nappy free time on weekends.

My slight trouble at the moment is that he has started to use the potty to delay other things he doesn't want to do, e.g. getting dressed. This morning (first day back at work after Christmas leave), he completely refused to get dressed. I had to adopt drastic measures... took him downstairs naked, put my coat and shoes on, grabbed my keys, went to the door and said "Ok, lets go...". Suddenly, there was a very silent "My trousers..." Ha, a win smile.

I think there is light at the end of the tunnel... they just go by their own agenda, don't they, and they are still young. My parents said at Christmas that they were unlikely to need nappies at 16 wink.

Good luck, everybody!

imwithspud Mon 11-Jan-16 22:32:18

Hi, everyone. I see that op has stopped potty training for now but I just wanted to share my experience in the hope that it might help. My 3 year old dd has been dry during the day since the summer, it took about a week to get it and to be honest I was dreading it. We didn't bother with pull ups during the day and just went straight to pants. Imo pull ups are too similar to nappies and can be confusing for day time training. It was gradual but after around day 3 we started seeing some real progress. She initially wasn't sure about using the potty at first, sort of freaked out when doing a poo especially as she was used to the comfort of a nappy. But the more she did it the more she got used to it and the less accidents she was having. We gave lots of encouragement and praise, and used smarties as a bribe! She got one for sitting on the potty for more than a second, and two for actually doing something on the potty - it worked a treat! And now a few months down the line she doesn't require any sort of bribe to use the toilet/potty and hasn't done since the first week. We do still get the very occasional accident when she forgets to go, but that's kids for you.

For us bribing worked. I knew dd was more than capable of controlling her bladder but was used to the comfort of a nappy. Now she thinks nappies are for babies and only wears pull ups at night.

roofio87 Wed 13-Jan-16 20:44:38

I have started potty training do 27 months, we've been working up to it slowly, lots of talking about the potty etc and using it just last thing at night before I get him ready for bed. Today he announced he needed a wee and wanted to do it on the potty so I took his nappy off and just let him wear trousers all day. He did a lot of wees, probably about 1 an hour but we only had one accident, the rest of the time he took himself off the potty to wee. It's been a positive first day, but we'll have to see what tomorrow brings!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now