Talk

Advanced search

3 year old still wetting/pooing

(1 Post)
hannahncakes Thu 17-Dec-15 12:33:03

Hi all,
My son was 3 in June and was potty trained just before his birthday. He was reluctant for a long time but finally cracked it and became mostly dry with the occasional accident a few months later. Over the summer holidays he was doing really well and he started at pre-school and did great there for about 3 weeks with barely any accidents.

After that he's been very unpredictable. Some weeks he'll be great and tell you every time he needs to go with no problems other times he'll just stand there and wet/poo himself. He'll say "I'm weeing now" but make no effort to go to the toilet at all. He knows what to do and can take himself so I'm very confused by why he does this. It tends to all be going well for a week or so then he'll just regress and it's like we're back to the beginning and that will last a week or so and they cycle repeats.

When I ask him why he hasn't told someone he just says "because I didn't". He doesn't seem at all bothered by the sensation or embarrassed that it's happened. It happens both at home and at school and I'm really at my wits end trying to figure out why it's happening when he knows what to do and does it a lot of the time!

We have tried reward charts, stickers, praise when he does well, we have multiple books about going to the toilet and I really don't know what else to do.

Any advice would be great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now