Talk

Advanced search

Toddler holding lower abdomen ?

(3 Posts)
Monkeybrain10 Sun 01-Nov-15 23:35:40

My 15 month old keeps stopping and holding his lower abdomen/shoving his hand down the front of his nappy.
I realise he's too young for potty training but wondered if this is normal behaviour? Is he just becoming aware of when he's weeing? (I think I might take him to the gp as I worry maybe it could be something like a bladder infection? ? But is that just me being paranoid?)

Any thoughts appreciated!

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 01-Nov-15 23:45:29

My ds is 22 months and hasn't done the holding thing, but dd1 and dd2 both held the front of their nappies at a similar age to your ds when doing a wee.

Is he wet more often, but in smaller amounts? Does he cry more, like he is in pain? Any fever? Could be a uti, just to be sure if he seems in discomfort get his wee checked by a GP. To get a sample place clean cotton wool into the front of his nappy then once he has done a wee squeeze out into a pot to get it tested.

Monkeybrain10 Mon 02-Nov-15 21:42:02

Thanks AnotherstitchinTime - My initial reaction was that he was just becoming aware of having a wee - he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, just that he stops and shoves his hands down his nappy (typical boy - ha ha!!) and looks a bit confused! But there is a little part of me that is worried that it might be a UTI so I guess I should speak to the GP. Thanks for the wee catching tip too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: