Talk

Advanced search

Ds will only poo standing up in his nappy

(11 Posts)
teacher54321 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:38:49

Ds is 3 1/2, wee trained at 2.11 and was dry in 2 days. He withheld his poos and we had three months of absolute hell with constant accidents and my gorgeous little boy was a shadow of his normal self. He was on movicol and then something clicked and now he happily does his poo every day after his bath, regular as clockwork. However we have got stuck and he will not do it on the loo or in the potty, he says it's because he likes standing up to do his poos. Does anyone have any experience or advice? Thanks in advance smile

MrsDeVere Thu 29-Oct-15 15:57:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

teacher54321 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:07:36

He has seen us go and we've downloaded the poo goes to pooland app which he thinks is hilarious!

Glad to know it's not just us though, Ds goes to nursery full time, but it's a new one since September and he's trained himself not to need to go during the day, so it hasn't been a problem. i am wary of too much pressure as I really really don't want him to withhold again, that was a dark time! It is super frustrating though as he knows exactly what he needs to do but just can't/won't. Am hoping it will just suddenly click...

MrsDeVere Thu 29-Oct-15 16:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

teacher54321 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:29:17

Fingers crossed! He's 3 1/2 exactly so hopefully by the time he's 4 it will have clicked smile I have to keep reminding myself how much progress he has made so far and the fact that he is going regularly is a huge achievement in itself. Thank you for the reassurance smile

snickers251 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:46:10

Another one here!

Ds was on movicol on and off for about a year but he's now 5 and it's all behind him. It was the worst experience in the whole of parenting so far and I cried lots.

Currently potty training dd and so far had lots of wees on the potty but is holding her poo in for nap/night nappies so I'm praying she doesn't go the same way

PirateBones Thu 29-Oct-15 17:39:40

This is so common it's pretty much perfectly normal, Try not to worry.
This could take months, please don't rush it and let him do it in his own time. Even school age children have this trouble.

The first step is to take him to the bathroom, let him have a go at wiping (Over the nappy) and flushing the tissue, then change him in there and do hand washing.

After a while of this start getting him to go into the bathroom to poo in the nappy.

Then get him closer to the toilet until he is sitting on it with the nappy on. then wiping over it, flushing the paper, you changing him then hand washing.

Once these have been mastered and he's comfortable do these steps. Cut a hole in the nappy.

After a month or two slowly make the hole bigger and bigger until you just have him in the waist band of the nappy.

Then remove what is left.

PirateBones Thu 29-Oct-15 17:41:09

it took use well over a year but we got there

teacher54321 Thu 29-Oct-15 23:18:04

I love that advice Pirate Bones I shall make a start tomorrow smile thank you for taking the time to type it!

Lucked Thu 29-Oct-15 23:29:21

It took us forever although we never had a problem with constipation.

What we did was made it part of his routine that he sat on the toilet for 10 mins after his bath. We did stories and stickers and it didn't matter if he did a poo or not. Eventually he did a poo and then it became more frequent.

It was still an age before he stopped pooing his pants during the day.

PirateBones Fri 30-Oct-15 08:18:08

You are welcome, glad you managed to read through my typos and auto correct mistakes and understood what i meant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now