Talk

Advanced search

Carrying on Potty Training at Nursery

(9 Posts)
Tadpoletoatoad Sun 16-Aug-15 09:35:05

DS (3 in 2 days), started last weekend. He was ok at home but it really wasn't great at nursery on Mon and Tues, they put him in nappies after lunch both days (that's another story as I wasn't happy with that decision). Interestingly he would come home and be great in pants. He was with granny on Weds and much better. Since then he has been great and is telling me or just taking himself off to the potty when needed. I'm really worried about nursery tomorrow knocking this progress back. I will tell them def no nappies. Any other words of wisdom or just reassurance?

TeddyBear5 Sun 16-Aug-15 09:44:05

Children often 'get it' in one setting and not another. It's sometimes at mine (cm) and not home and vice versa.

If he's not dry at all at nursery and just freely peeing and soiling everywhere then a decision might be made to put them into a nappy. I also sometimes do that. This is my home and if a child is going to wet frequently on my sofas and carpets then I will tell parents that I don't think they are ready. It's unhygienic, time consuming and unfair on he child and others to constantly be changing a child who isn't ready. Some parents insist the child is when professionally I disagree.

I would suggests having a conversation in a proper meeting with the nursery to establish their POV. Good luck.

afreshstartplease Sun 16-Aug-15 09:49:56

Are you providing enough spare clothes

TeddyBear5 Sun 16-Aug-15 09:53:02

He's also probably much more distracted at nursery. 1-1 with granny for instance is much more likely to be successful. He'll get there soon in all settings and a couple of hours in a nappy won't set him back if he's truly ready.

Tadpoletoatoad Sun 16-Aug-15 10:16:50

He wasn't freely pooing and weeing - he was holding on too long. He only had two accidents when they put him in a nappy. What didn't help was lots of the familiar staff were off on hols but back this week I think.
I sent lots of clothes - lots!

Tadpoletoatoad Sun 16-Aug-15 10:17:47

Thank you Teddybear - hopefully tomorrow will be ok. He's completely dry and clean at home. Just off to friends now so we shall see what happens!

Kennington Sun 16-Aug-15 10:18:41

It took us about three months
Nursery was good but took the approach not to stress her out so took a slower approach
Still having the odd accident now though!
Don't worry it takes time. Work on reminding him to tell someone at nursery when he needs to go.

TeddyBear5 Sun 16-Aug-15 10:20:51

Two accidents is nothing and they should try for longer. I was comparing to a recent child i had which was going through all her spares (around 6) in 3 hours. No successful trips to the potty.

See how you go with the regular staff.

Tadpoletoatoad Sun 16-Aug-15 17:29:55

We had a really successful trip to friends today. I was a bit apprehensive as even though we've done little trips out he has refused to use the loo/potty. No accidents though.
Today he started off being stubborn and then relaxed. So much so he was asking to go every 30mins!
Will see how tomorrow goes. He is so stubborn though and no amount of rewards do the job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now