Talk

Advanced search

How do I get DD to do the first wee?

(13 Posts)
bananaboatfloat Tue 04-Aug-15 13:10:25

DD is 2.9. I think she's ready for potty training - tells me after every wee to change her nappy, sits on the potty fine, keen to wear pants etc.

We started yesterday and so far we've had no wees in the potty, just on the floor. This isn't a problem in itself as it's early days and we're both learning but at least 3 of the accidents have occurred after I'd sat her on the potty (for quite some time as I could see she needed to go) and then given up only for her to wee less than a minute later. It makes me think that she's used to going standing up in her nappy and she just can't work out the mechanism to release the wee whilst on the potty.

Once I can get the first wee out of her I'm sure it'll be ok but I need ideas. Has anyone else had this? None of my friends with similar aged children have had this problem. Their children seem to be happy to release into a potty (albeit hit and miss in the early stages)

thanks

CornishYarg Wed 05-Aug-15 13:47:05

DS did the same - weed within minutes of sitting on the potty for a while. I'd love to be able to say we did a certain thing and that sorted it, but I'm not really sure what worked in the end!

I suspect he may simply have not been ready during our first two attempts. I wonder if he hadn't made the connection between the feeling you get when you need to go and weeing, as he always looked a bit shocked when he weed! We also used a reward chart on the third successful attempt although I think that was more useful in keeping the momentum going than kick-starting the process.

Is she happy to sit on the potty regularly? DS was getting upset and frustrated about being asked lots so for him, it worked a lot better when we backed off and didn't ask much.

Sorry I can't help more but just wanted to say you aren't alone. If it's any consolation, once he finally got going, DS got the hang of it very quickly and with hardly any accidents.

HelenaJustina Wed 05-Aug-15 13:51:16

What kind of potty have you got? The 3 of mine that I have trained have all hated the traditional one where their knees are up round their ears slight exaggeration they all preferred one that looks more like an armchair!

If you think it might be mechanical you could try using the loo to improve the angle? I also swapped between the loo and potty from day one so never had to take a travel potty out with me as they were unphased by a 'big toilet'.

Kickassandlollipops Wed 05-Aug-15 13:59:23

My ds never failed to have a wee in the bath, as soon as his feet touched the water he would wee, so we filled the bath a inch or so with warm water put the potty in and sat him on it , weed in potty , much singing and dancing round the bathroom Dh called to inspect wee and pile on praise ! Worked a treat.

Bert2e Wed 05-Aug-15 14:02:35

God old fashioned bribery - with dolly mixtures and much ringing of Grandma and any friend that will listen! And yes straight onto the toilet with DS2 as poo in a potty is really, really gross!

Bert2e Wed 05-Aug-15 14:07:23

Good not God!!

Bert2e Wed 05-Aug-15 14:07:23

Good not God!!

Bert2e Wed 05-Aug-15 14:07:43

Good not God!

Bert2e Wed 05-Aug-15 14:08:06

I'll just get up and leave now shall I!?

bananaboatfloat Wed 05-Aug-15 19:17:14

Thank you for the responses. 2 days with not a single potty wee was a bit disheartening. I gave up today and put her back in nappies and both of us have been happier.

She has the option of 2 potties and 2 toilet seats and isn't afraid to go on the potty (the big toilet seems to be less favourable).

I'm not sure she does wee in the bath but it's worth a try. We don't bath each evening so that makes it a little more tricky but still worth a try.

I'm going to give it a few days and try again. I'm pleased to hear I'm not alone as googling didn't help solve my issue. It's nice to know she won't be 21 and still in nappies smile

CatWithKittens Thu 06-Aug-15 09:40:11

Turning the tap on to dribble has worked with some of ours - the risk is that they'll be susceptible to running water ever afterwards. Beware Pavlov's dogs

HelenaJustina Thu 06-Aug-15 12:11:52

I'd give it longer than a few days, leave it a couple of weeks if you can. You need to let the memory of the failed attempt fade for both of you

When they are really over ready it should be easier and slightly quicker. No wees in 2 days would suggest to me that she isn't quite as ready as she appears from the outside.

GoooRooo Thu 06-Aug-15 12:19:17

The only way I could get my DS to understand about the potty was for him to see other children using one. I had a friend round with her little girl and when she used the potty and we gave her praise DS suddenly got it and used it!

Same went for standing up weeing. Daddy tried teaching him at the toilet and no doing. We went for his swimming lesson and he saw a classmate standing up to wee in the loo and he wanted to copy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now