Talk

Advanced search

Catch me up, quick! 2 yo self potty training

(7 Posts)
GloGirl Tue 04-Aug-15 09:27:04

My toddler (not quite 2.5) seems to be potty training all by himself and I was unprepared! I've read little bits and decided to do a very slow introduction to the potty. We have a potty downstairs and upstairs, every now and then offer him to pee on the potty or have his nappy on, occasionally offer him pants to wear, have a potty book for bedtime reading. I have just been taking it very slow, no pressure just getting him used to the idea.

We bought new "easy up" nappies (thinking I might find them slightly easier) and he hates them. I told him yesterday that if he didn't want to wear them he could do his pees in the potty.

Well, he peed in the potty from 12pm - bedtime yesterday and then he's continuing to pee in it this morning hmm I am not ready even if he is!

He's not had a potty poo yet and neither does he want to wear pants. He's still doing very frequent pees (5 this morning), does that mean it would be better back in nappies till he does bigger pees? I am not even reminding him, he is doing it and coming to tell me blush

What next?!!

He's refusing to sit down on the potty, I haven't pushed the issue because I didn't want to upset him when he is actually peeing. Shall I bribe him with food to get him to sit on there a bit longer? He can sit on it but prefers a stand up wee - I have no idea how I will encourage him to sit down on the big toilet (which he has no inclination to do yet.)

I suppose I will need a portable potty? Should I take him out shopping for pants? And I'll need a toilet training seat I guess?

If he'll wear pants do I take him in the car with no nappy on?

Grrr, DS is away this weekend, to his Nana's house without me. If I try and postpone potty training am I going to miss this "window"??? It's a long journey away and I know his Nana was hoping to take him out for the day.

I'm not really complaining, I know I'm very lucky he's being so good with it but I thought I would get myself all organised and then give him a "nudge" when I was ready and when it was a good time for us all. This month isn't great. But then, September he starts nursery so that's not a great start either I suppose?

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 04-Aug-15 09:38:25

Mine did this, also at 2.5 (about 6 weeks ago). Just go with the flow. I know what you mean though, I was totally not ready!

I popped DS in a nappy if we were going in the car and I thought he might fall asleep. Short journies I didn't worry. Some people put a disposable liner in the car seat just in case (puppy pads work well I think).

Will Nana be happy to carry on with Potty Training?

DS was reliably dry, day and night, within a week. Only problem is he now wakes at 4.30am for a wee. hmm

GloGirl Tue 04-Aug-15 10:36:41

He's done about 6 pees in 3.5 hours. Is that normal?

How was your son with pooing in the potty?

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 04-Aug-15 10:40:14

He was pooing in the potty for a long time before we started "actual" traing - all done to one occasion where he was in the bath and I could see he was about to poo, so I hoiked him out and sat him on the potty. He was so pleased that he could then get back IN the bath, he kept on using the potty for a poo after that.

DS peed a LOT for the first couple of weeks but we found that he started to go much longer in between wees quite quickly really. He's dry at night and usually goes about 9 hours.

Whatabout Tue 04-Aug-15 10:44:56

glogirl my DS is 2 and 1/4 and we are now three weeks in after his insistence at potty training. I'd just go with it this week and stay close to home and let him enjoy the novelty of the potty. Stand up wee's are fine, try getting a step from ikea or somewhere for the big loo. We praise lots for sitting longer, he does a wee then shouts "finished" and I know he isn't. Just takes time to get there. Good luck!

GloGirl Tue 04-Aug-15 15:26:31

He did a poo in the potty and he didn't even brag! I found it. I'm so pleased!!!

Whatabout Tue 04-Aug-15 15:31:26

That's so cool! Hope you're not now hunting for skiddies...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now