Talk

Advanced search

Potty training 2.5 yo ds and night training 5 yo ds

(3 Posts)
Pratai Mon 27-Jul-15 11:43:23

Hi,

I am going to take a couple of weeks off at the end of next month to potty train ds who is 2.5 yo. He has a vague idea of the potty and he has used it the odd time successfully. I haven't really tried to train him as I work full time and I want to have plenty of time to do it in a relaxed way. Not really possible when it is split between me rushing at home and the crèche. Do you think 2.5 is old enough? Will not be too upset if he doesn't get it as I am relaxed about it and would prefer it goes well with no stress.
Then I also have the problem of ds who is 5 and still not trained at night. He is fine by day. Would have the odd accident mainly from having too much fun and not coming in until the very last second to go. I didn't train him until he was 3 as there was a lot going on and I wanted to do it when we were all relaxed and had the time to spend doing it properly .
Anyway what I am wondering is would I be better off letting his pull up off at night and see how we go? He uis currently wet every morning and at 5 his friends are all night time trained and I don't want him to feel under pressure.
Any advice on either situation welcome
Thanks smile

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 27-Jul-15 11:51:18

My DS is 2.6 and has been dry for about a month - he just took his nappy off and announced that he would be using the potty from now on. So no, I don't think 2.5 is too young. If he's ready, go for it. He wakes up earlier now as he needs to use the potty at about 4am but I'm just starting to get him to go back to bed afterwards (with some MN help!).

Re: your older DS - I think night training is down to producing a hormone, not something that can be trained (unless you think he's being lazy and just not bothering to get out of bed!). I've no experience of older children though so don't know. If you have no success getting him out of nappies at night I think it's a trip to the GP to see if he needs tablets to boost the hormone.

Pratai Mon 27-Jul-15 12:07:28

Thank you. Will give the younger fella a chance. I have a high toleration for wet floors I discovered the last time smile
I am more nervous that the older fella will be wearing pull ups for years to come. But this is a chance for me to see how it goes as I am usually gone to work at 5 am and my dh is not a morning person so dealing with an accident would probably not go down well. Last thing I want is to stress ds out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now