Talk

Advanced search

Potty training despair

(5 Posts)
LouisaJF Mon 08-Jun-15 14:13:38

DS1 is 3.1 and we have been potty training for months. He can hold it when he wants to but never ever asks to go. I have to keep reminding him to get on the potty and he will then wee to order.

We have tried rewards but that doesn't seem to get through. I'm constantly reinforcing the message but we must have at least one accident a day. It's driving me nuts now. We've been doing this for so long and we're not getting anywhere. He normally picks things up really quickly which I think is making it more frustrating.

What else can I do? Have I just got to wait it out and hope he gets it? Do I punish accidents? The fact that he's wet doesn't bother him, he doesn't even tell me.

Shakey1500 Mon 08-Jun-15 14:15:29

Novelty toilet seat thing and stress it's a "big boy" thing?

LouisaJF Mon 08-Jun-15 14:28:25

Done the novelty Thomas potty. He loves it but it hasn't encouraged anything. The big boy thing hasn't worked either. I've also tried just taking him to the toilet instead of the potty but that was another fail. I'm at the end of my tether.

LouisaJF Mon 08-Jun-15 16:46:37

I think part of the problem is that he is permanently busy. He's on the go all the time so I do think he gives the potty a thought

tobysmum77 Sat 13-Jun-15 11:02:19

Louisa I feel your pain, dd2 has been terrible confused

FWIW she's 3.5 and things are suddenly (everything crossed) getting better. My only advice is to relax, accept you can't control it and crack on. He will grow out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now