Talk

Advanced search

How old?

(16 Posts)
ArriettyMatilda Wed 20-May-15 13:39:15

I know that age for potty training varies and there is no perfect age to start. With that in mind I would just like to find out how old was your child when they were fully potty trained and what age did you start? Also what age did your parents potty train you? It would just just be interesting to see how much it varies!

My dd is 17 months and will use the potty to wee and poo in if I put her on the potty when she needs to go. I've not started training though as she rarely lets me know when she has been or needs to go, so I'm sure she's not ready yet. I was about 2 years old when potty trained.

strawberryshoes Wed 20-May-15 13:44:34

DD was 2.5 when she started and got it immediately.

No idea how old I was!

FernGullysWoollyPully Wed 20-May-15 13:45:24

I started DS at about 18 months. He wasn't ready by a long shot but I persevered. It took me another 12 months to get him dry and clean during the day.
With DD1, I decided to wait until she was 3 and had a bit more understanding of it all. She got it in 3 days.
DD2, I waited until she was 3 also and she had it down in a week. She's a July baby and went to nursery in the Sept. She did have a couple of accidents there when she forgot to stop playing but soon got out of it.
DD3 is now 2.9 and I'm starting to notice that she's getting ready but I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before starting!

dementedpixie Wed 20-May-15 13:55:15

dd was 2 and a half and ds was 2 when they were day trained

slightlyconfused85 Thu 21-May-15 08:48:07

2 and a half for my dd. Tried a bit earlier but no success but this was right for her. I have a lot of friends with boys who have been around 3 though as earlier was too early for them

ArriettyMatilda Thu 21-May-15 15:12:27

Thanks for all your posts it seems like over 2 is fairly common. Absolutely hate using nappies but I know dd will be in them for quite a bit longer. What were the signs of being ready?

strawberryshoes Thu 21-May-15 20:16:10

Signs for us were DD talking about wanting to use the toilet "like mummy" and being very aware of when she was having a wee or a poo (telling me she was).

Jana9876 Fri 29-May-15 13:55:49

DD was over 3 when finally making any progress with potty, and stayed dry during the day, but poo was totally accidental for another 2 months or so

ch1134 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:39:41

My mum says I was 17 months. My friend is a gp and says everyone used to be trained much earlier than they are now.
My son is 17 months now. I also hate nappies. He tells me when he's doing a poo but I have no idea if he knows when he's weeing. I'm going to try training at around 19 months when it's summer and I'll have more time. If it doesn't work it doesn't matter but I think it's worth a shot.

JasperDamerel Sun 07-Jun-15 20:47:01

DD was two and a half. She was able to use the toilet competently and reliably after a fortnight and was dry at night a month later. She wanted help wiping after poos until she was 5.

DS could wee reliably into a potty at 18 months, as long his bottom was naked. It took him until he was three before he manage wees if he had pants/ trousers etc on. He was dry at night at around the same age. He was four and a half before he would poo into a toilet rather than a nappy.

Shootingstar2289 Sun 14-Jun-15 13:47:23

There is no right or wrong as such. I started training my son at 2.5 (far from ready before this). It took months and he was finally fully dry at 3 and a half. He was trained at home straight away but took the longest to be dry when we were out and avoid. It was a long process that was effected by my sons speech delay as he couldn't tell me when he needed to go.

I was told by a paediatrician that the average age is 2-3. More commonly 2.5-3, boys tend to be letter. But the normal range is anything up to 4 years which is less common.

I once read an article that starting 'too early' can do more harm than good but each parent knows their child the best to know when they are ready.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 14-Jun-15 19:59:04

DD now just 3 was 2.2/2.3 dry in the day after about a week. She has been dry at night for about 3 months now too

undoubtedly Sun 14-Jun-15 20:00:30

DD is 2.6 and not started yet.

Apparently I was 19 months but then my mum does talk a lot of bollocks....

Muskey Sun 14-Jun-15 20:08:31

Dd was about 18 months when we started potty training. Although tbh we confused her a lot. She kept saying she didn't want to use the potty when in fact she did but we were extremely slow on the uptake. I read somewhere don't try potty training until dc start climbing stairs unaided. I think it's something to do with their muscle control.

BeeMyBaby Sun 14-Jun-15 20:16:47

DD1 just before she was 2 and trained within a week, dd2 was 18 months and trained within 2 weeks. They both understood the poos very quickly, within 2 days but wees took a few more days, especially when out and about.

neversleepagain Wed 17-Jun-15 14:43:34

My twin dd's were 2.8. I potty trained them together and they got it pretty much instantly thankfully. They are still in nappies at night, they are 2.9 now although twin1 has had a dry nappy at night for the past couple of weeks so will give her a to with no night nappy soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now