Poos

(14 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Sun 19-Apr-15 17:45:23

Started potty training 2.5 year DD 2 weeks ago. She's been brilliant at wees, rarely had an accident and asks to go. Trouble is poos, she's holding and holding till she's in agony over a couple of days. She shouts out I need a poo every 5 mins but won't just sit and go. When she eventually does she cries and cries even when it's out. Perplexed at what to do, she won't let me put a nappy on her now as she's in big girl knickers so I can't go backwards

mumteedum Sun 19-Apr-15 17:49:48

I bought lots of poo related story books. The mole one is good. But ended up with ds on movicol to stop the holding it in. I'd go see gp. He's getting better.

AliceMum09 Wed 22-Apr-15 23:59:17

I'm having this problem with my just-turned 3 year old - she'll wee on the potty fine, no accidents and will tell us when she needs a wee or even just go and sit on the potty herself. But poo is an entirely different matter - she got so hysterical at bath time over the issue that DD1 (6) was in tears seeing her little sister so upset!

I'm going to see what happens in the morning (she didn't do a poo this evening, even with a nappy on for bed) but I think we might be off to the GP!

Maki79 Thu 23-Apr-15 00:06:54

My 3.5 yr old ds has been dry day and night for 6 months now but there has been not 1 purposeful poo on the potty.

I took him to the GP last week and he has been referred for further tests. I don't think he feels it coming out sad

rubypop123 Thu 07-May-15 19:25:46

Please help!!!
my daughter that is 3 next month has been dry in the day for almost 12 months and in the night for 6months. We had no problems with night or day apart from the fact she would save her poo all day Until she had her night time nappy on,, and would finally "let go".
So we had a chat and decided lets go for it with being dry in the night and if the option for a nappy isnt there to have a poo she will do it on the potty/toilet. How wrong we were!!!. I have tried absolutely everything I can possibly think of, treats, prizes, sticker charts, playing good cop bad cop. We even took a huge step back and let her have nappies on just for a poo. It literally got to the stage she would go upstairs get a nappy do a poo and ask for the nappy off when she has finished!
I am at the point were we are both getting very upset about it, and she is due to start nursery soon so really want to nip it in the bud.
I don't particularly want to take her to the gp because I am worried they will just give me laxatives, if she has an accident and poos herself it will really upset her!
if anyone has anymore tricks or ideas I am willing to try anything because its starting to take over our lives! :-(

TitsCrossed Thu 07-May-15 19:31:44

Poos on toilet/potty are much more traumatic than wees for a lot of little ones. Check out the ERIC website and the YouTube video 'Mr poo goes to Pooland' (yes, really!). Also, maybe speak to health visitor.

TitsCrossed Thu 07-May-15 19:34:06

ERIC website

teacher54321 Thu 07-May-15 20:49:21

We're going through this at the moment. Ds was three a couple of weeks ago, and we've been potty training a month. He's been totally dry since day 2, but poo has been a problem. He's been constipated and withheld for up to 5 days. I took him to the Dr and he's now on movicol twice a day. Today for the first time he managed two independent poos on the potty unprompted which feels like some progress, and at least on the movicol he goes every day which is so much better than being constipated. He currently still won't go in any public loos (hand dryers!) So we have lots of challenges to face...

muffintop1 Thu 07-May-15 21:18:58

My youngest went into pants aged 2y and 3 months, and was immediately dry but held on to poos for 3 days at a time then eventually pooed in the potty only when he could hold on no longer. We just fed him ridiculous amounts of fruit and dried fruit and I bought pirate Pete and his potty book, and a big book of Thomas stickers and a chart. I also tried to not nag him and let him tell me when to go. We had a couple of months of him withholding 2-3 days, then pooing in potty but being scared and nervous and now he is fine. I think some people recommend getting child to blow up a balloon or bubbles sitting on the potty. It is very stressful but hopefully it will soon pass

LucyBabs Thu 07-May-15 23:33:31

Having this problem too. However my ds is not constipated and when he finally does poo (usually in his pants) he tells me what a relief it is! I know when he needs to go he gets overly emotional asks me to sit on the sofa with him and generally has a "look"

I then force blush him to sit on the toilet and he screams begs shouts to get off. After about 5 mins he unclenches and does his poo. Its normal poo and he isnt in pain. I know he has obviously built it up as such a big deal from the beginning that its a habit now?

At my wits end and sick of cleaning up accidents and listening to him get so upset sad

sarahkhan Fri 08-May-15 11:01:31

Started potty training 2.5 year ago, he's been fantastic rarely had an accident and asks to go. Trouble is poos

sarahkhan Fri 08-May-15 11:03:09

best professional teacher
tinyurl.com/fastest-learning-pottytraining

slightlyconfused85 Sat 09-May-15 17:07:43

I can report that one month on from being successful at wees we are finally having success with poo. She has stopped being frightened and upset and asks to go and does one without drama. She is still sometimes doing them in her nappy in the eve or morning but none in the knickers for a week anduch much less fuss. Think we're on the road to getting this cracked. We feed her lots of fruit and read princess pollys potty hundreds of times ....fingers crossed she carries on

slightlyconfused85 Mon 11-May-15 06:49:46

Teacher54321 I just read the bit about hand dryers - dd is exactly the same! Won't do a thing if she can hear a hand dryer. We've had to resort to disabled Loos when there is no one around. Next phase to crack

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now