Talk

Advanced search

How do you transition to no nappies at night?

(19 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sun 15-Mar-15 21:40:53

Ds1 is nearly 2.9 he's been out of nappies in the daytime for about 2 months. Doing very well, mostly tells us when he needs to go but sometimes forgets if he's busy and needs to be reminded/told to go. He's still in a nappy at night because I'm not sure how to go about getting him out of them. But he keeps waking and telling me he wants to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. Probably 4 nights a week and sometimes wakes with a we nappy as if he's done one wee in it and have women to tell me. He won't wee in his nappy if he's aware of needing to wee so he must be doing it in his sleep.

How does it all work at night time? Should I stop putting nappies on him? He always wanted to drink water at bedtime so I guess he's always going to want a wee during the night?

MoreSnowPlease Sun 15-Mar-15 21:42:02

Hasn't woken not have women

Sazorchard31 Sun 15-Mar-15 21:44:53

Posting as intrigued...dd is nearly 5, potty trained for 2years but still.in nappies at night. Tried taking her when we go to bed, tried nothing but knickers..but she just sleeps through the weeing. It'll happen in time I hope!

TheCarrotsDontWork Sun 15-Mar-15 21:45:44

ha ha to 'have women to tell me' smile

I just left mine in pull-ups until we'd had a long stretch (2months + ) of the pull-up always being dry in the morning. With DC1, never had a wet bed. With DC2, had the occasional one (once every 2 to 3 weeks) for about 6 months after that. DC3 still in pull-ups at night (age 3.5) - but they are less heavy than they used to be so think it won't be too long.

Sazorchard31 Sun 15-Mar-15 21:45:47

Finding a wet bed 8hrs later isn't nice, no idea how dd sleeps through it!

SisterJulienne Sun 15-Mar-15 21:46:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 15-Mar-15 21:52:24

Yes I'm lazy too, but he keeps getting me up to take him to the toilet!! And he's not in a pull up just a normal nappy so it's really annoying. Maybe I could put him in a pull up and put a potty in his room, see if he'll go himself!

MoreSnowPlease Sun 15-Mar-15 21:53:29

If he didn't drink at bedtime I'm pretty sure he'd always be dry. Should probably try and stop that!

Patatas Sun 15-Mar-15 21:59:44

Ds was completely dry in the day, but continued having very full nappies at night for almost another year, he never woke. All of a sudden they were dry in the mornings, left them on for another month, then went without. No accidents at all, touch wood.

I don't think you can do anything to train them, just a case of waiting until they're ready and I believe for a certain hormone to kick in.

TheTertiumSquid Mon 13-Apr-15 21:07:12

We just waited till dd had dry nappies in the morning for a full two weeks. It was when she was 4.8. We took the nappies away and put a potty next to her bed.
She did really well for 6 months then started wetting every night again confused. So she's back in pull ups at night (aged 5.3).

Marioswife Thu 16-Apr-15 08:27:31

haven't done it yet, but I've agreed with my eldest that he can get rid of Drynites when he has 2 months of dry nights.

HSMMaCM Thu 16-Apr-15 08:30:56

DD just said she didn't need a nappy at night any more when she was about 4 and never wet her bed. No input from me whatsoever.

MrsPeabody Thu 16-Apr-15 08:32:20

If you search there is a really good thread on here about it being a chemical change that makes them ready to be dry at night. It is normal for this to take anything up to seven years of age before needing to see a gp.

I would just go with the above poster and if the night time nappies are consistently dry go without. Although I realised my ds was being lazy and having his morning wee in his!

mimolette Fri 08-May-15 23:26:43

OP, hope you don't mind me highjacking along the same theme.
DD is nearly 4 and has been fairly reliably dry in the day for well over a year.
At night she is in pull ups and does the odd dry night (once a week or every couple of weeks may be), but not at all consistently, and never wakes up to go.
In the day time, potty training only works for us once we removed the pull-ups all together. We were thinking of doing the same at night now. But
reading this, I am starting to wonder whether she is not developed enough yet and we should leave the night pull-ups on for longer?

mumzuki Sun 10-May-15 18:34:05

This is so reassuring - DD2 is 5.8 and has been dry during the day since she was 2, but we seem to be making no progress at all with this. We took her out of pull-ups at night during the Easter holiday, but we get pretty much alternate wet and dry nights still. Don't know really whether to press on or abandon - we're away quite a lot at the moment so putting her back in pull-ups every time we're sleeping elsewhere, which feels like it's probably making things worse but I don't know what else to do. And she really doesn't want to wear pull-ups at night, so I don't want to force her back into them, but the broken nights are getting a bit wearing.

mumzuki Sun 10-May-15 18:36:48

Mrs Peabody, I don't suppose you've got a link for that thread?

Iloveonionchutney Sun 10-May-15 18:42:31

My dd is 4.6 and still in pull-ups, we have a potty in her room but I think when she does use that it's when she wakes up and is desperate. Sometimes she's dry but not often so it's reassuring to see others a similar age not dry yet.

6monthsin Mon 11-May-15 09:23:44

Dd1 was fine in the day from 2.11 but now at 3.5 she's desperate to stop wearing pull-ups (pampers) at night. We went and bought 'special night time knickers' but in the week we've gone nappy-free at night she's woken wet every morning. I think she's actually sleeping through it too as she's not freshly wet first thing.

Are there other pull-ups that are less nappy-like? I think we've got to go back to nappies - reading this thread would indicate she's not ready at night yet....

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 11-May-15 09:30:08

I don't agree with the consistently dry advice because some kids will wee in a nappy right after they wake up having been dry all night!

I would take it off for a couple of days (obviously prepare for accidents with lots of layers and mattress protector on bed) swap the bedtime drink for an earlier one (or just offer a couple of sips at bedtime) and see how he goes.

If it doesn't work the chemical wotsit probably hasn't happened yet so put him back in nappies and try again in six months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now