Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone skipped the potty and gone straight to the toilet?

(24 Posts)
Millie3030 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:33:23

Hi all,

I know I'm probably a way off at the moment as my DS Is 19 months, but when we do start training can I just go straight to the toilet with a seat in it? Has anyone done this successfully?

pieceofpurplesky Sat 31-Jan-15 21:34:36

Mine wouldn't use a potty. Liked toilets .... Had a stand and a seat.

May09Bump Sat 31-Jan-15 21:35:58

I'm doing this next time - instead of faffing about with potties. Go for it!

phoolani Sat 31-Jan-15 21:36:02

My ds was older - probably 3 in fact. But yes, he went straight to toilet with a seat and a step and it went really well for both him and me (no potty to clean). I don't think there's any reason to use a potty as an inbetween step.

AMillionNameChangesLater Sat 31-Jan-15 21:36:18

My eldest didn't like pottys, went straight to toilet, just used to hold himself up on the toilet seat.

KarmaNoMore Sat 31-Jan-15 21:41:38

Not me, my little prince refused to sit on x number potties until we finally found him a little throne one that he liked, we even had to buy the same model for the nursery.

Having said that... I think he wasn't ready yet. We tried again 6 months later and he went straight for the toilet (with a little adaptor to put on top of the seat).

halestone Sat 31-Jan-15 21:44:38

My Dd used the toilet straight away never used a potty, i didn't see the point of potty training then training again to use/flush a toilet. She started at 18 months but it was her choice. She is 2.1 now and still refuses to poo anywhere else than her nappy though.

in2theblues Sat 31-Jan-15 21:50:40

Yes. DC1 was ready at two but seemed not to see the point in doing something that the adults didn't do. Like sitting in the middle of the room doing a poo. He seemed to relax completely when he was given the same treatment as everyone else around him. I used to half close the door and tell him to shout when he had finished.

It seemed so obvious when it came to DC2.

Potties are old fashioned. They were used when there were no inside or heated bathrooms. Totally outdated.

catkind Sat 31-Jan-15 21:51:16

We used both from the start; toilet where possible, so there was no trauma moving over to a toilet when proficient, but found it convenient to have a potty within reach of where they were playing at times. The first week training DS we really had no lead time to get him to the loo.

Browneyesblue Sat 31-Jan-15 21:52:28

It worked for us too. DS was probably about 2.5 - we waited until he seemed very ready - and he was happy to go straight on the toilet. He used a seat and a step.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Sat 31-Jan-15 21:54:35

straight to toilet with both mine. Never could be arsed with the faff of a potty

princessamidala Sat 31-Jan-15 22:01:08

Both my children went straight to using the toliet. Could not see the point of a potty.

vdbfamily Sat 31-Jan-15 22:04:46

No potty for my 3 either.We found a lovely wooden seat that had a little wooden seat that folded onto it.Used that and a step.
www.amazon.co.uk/Bemis-4250ELT-Orlando-STA-TITE-Silentium/dp/B00LWY0JHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422741815&sr=8-1&keywords=toddler+wooden+toilet+seat
Above is a plastic version.

NimpyWWindowmash Sat 31-Jan-15 22:07:07

Yes, what is the point of them? You then have to get the poo out of the potty yourself.

Mine never used them

Millie3030 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:22:45

Thank you you all for responding so quickly, I'm so glad you have all said that, I was thinking using a potty seemed to me like I would have to train him twice, once to use the potty, then again to the toilet. And to be quite honest the thought of wiping the poo out of the potty makes me feel a bit quesy blush

Great tips, I'm going to get a step too, I got a inner seat thing from kiddicare before it closed, but it doesn't really fit properly so may get a better one, well two actually one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Thanks for the link above, that's more expensive than I was thinking of but its a whole new toilet seat isn't it? That has an inner ring for them, so would you keep this for years, for when they are 2/3/4 years old etc?

BlackbirdOnTheWire Sat 31-Jan-15 22:32:05

DD wouldn't use a potty at all, so had steps to the loo. DS wanted to use a potty to start but I think that was more territorial than anything else - he wanted something just for him!! He's almost three and says potties are for babies now - the biggest threat we can make is to inflict a potty on him.

We have/had one of those family seats. It's rubbish. If they're in too much of a hurry to check the angle they're sitting at, the wee comes straight out the front under the seat and drenches everything. Worse with boys, too. They're also uncomfortable in adult mode because they're totally flat.

The Prince Lionheart ones are good www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Lionheart-weePOD-Toilet-Trainer/dp/B005ZBHZCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422743366&sr=8-1&keywords=Prince+lionheart+toilet+seat. We have a couple of them. They do raise the seat up, though, so you may need a bigger step.

MinceSpy Sat 31-Jan-15 22:37:06

Both DC refused potty and went straight to the toilet

BlackbirdOnTheWire Sat 31-Jan-15 22:37:41

Also, my advice is don't be in too much of a hurry to start potty-training. You will then discover that your DC wants to wee every 20 mins, turning a supermarket shop into a marathon punctuated by abandoned trolleys and mad dashes.

In DS's case, you will find that they get the hang of it too quickly. He decided he didn't want a nappy, he had two or three accidents on the first three days (24 months) and has had fewer than half a dozen in the 11 months since. Unfortunately, he is so in tune with his bladder that he now gets out of bed 3 or 4 times an evening after bedtime to do a wee, and a few times a week I'm woken in the early hours by a small figure at the side of my bed saying "mummy, need a weeeeeeeeee". Yes, he's still in a pull-up at night but refuses to wee in it. I wish I'd kept him in nappies, if only for the sake of sleep!

pinkmagic1 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:39:35

Straight to the toilet with both of mine, seem to remember they had just turned 2. I had a step and little plastic seat that slotted onto the main toilet seat. I really can't see the point in potties.

Millie3030 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:43:21

That is very good advice blackbird maybe I will leave him in it until he leaves home! Removing the cot sides and potty training all leave more chance for a little person to be standing next to me at 2am, that's part I am not looking forward to.

I think it's decided that I'm going to skip the potty part and go straight to the loo seat, I may need to buy a travel inner thing (if they do them) for when we are out and about though won't i? Or do I just hold him on the loo so he doesn't fall in when we are in public, or round friends?

housepicturesqueclub Sat 31-Jan-15 22:48:31

Use both. It's no fun being stuck indoors or having to be close to a toilet all the time, if starting training at around 2yr old they can't hold it until you find a toilet. A potty means you can go to the park, for walks etc. Without the worry. And in the early stages you would get fed up of traipsing to the bathroom every 20-30 mins. Cleaning a potty is no big deal either.

CooCooCachoo Sat 31-Jan-15 22:56:46

Ds1 went straight to toilet at 2.10 and was going by himself, washing hands etc two months later at 3.

He just didn't like potties or toilet seats so we gave up on them. He seemed to feel more like a 'big boy' by using the loo as it was without any 'baby ' modifications.

We tried potty training at about 18/19 months but he obviously wasn't ready.

stealthsquiggle Sat 31-Jan-15 23:00:50

Yes, we did, unintentionally, with DD. Mainly because I hadn't expected her to be ready so hadn't even got potties out of the loft, but toilet seats were still around from DS using them when DD announced one morning that she didn't want to wear nappies any more. She never used potties, at home or at nursery, but did use the toilet seats until she was a big enough to feel secure on a normal toilet seat.

Notso Sat 31-Jan-15 23:03:13

It depends on how your child feels about it too. Two of mine were scared of the toilet at first even with their chosen seat proudly in place but happy on the potty.
Also the squatting position of the potty is apparently more of a natural position for pooing. This can help if they have a tendency to hold poo in. DS2 was bad for this although did wee's on the toilet happily.
Tipping poo from a potty is way less gross than changing a dirty nappy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: