Talk

Advanced search

Is He old enough at 22 months? where do I start?!

(7 Posts)
clairemarie5 Mon 12-Jan-15 16:52:55

My DS is very bright for his age, knows tons of words, started putting sentences together, asking small questions etc.. but I'm not sure if this will mean he's clued up enough to understand potty training??
He has a potty that is next to the big toilet and he understands that it's his baby toilet.. but he will not sit on it with a bare bum.
His dad thinks I should be training him now but I'm reading that some kids, boys in particular, aren't trained til 3 or 4..

Where do I start!? I'm putting off trying properly for fear of failing and giving up.. Help me ladies!

Stubbed Mon 12-Jan-15 17:00:01

Wait until he wants to. He'll be seeing others do it at nursery or when friends come and soon be curious.

My daughter loves sitting on the potty / toilet and keeps getting up to check if anything arrives in it. It never does, she's 16 months and I don't think she's made the link with what she feels and what might come out.

clairemarie5 Mon 12-Jan-15 21:42:55

I don't have any friends with children that come round and he only ever sees me going to the toilet, his dad sometimes... maybe I should start taking him in throughout the day and suggesting he uses his potty? Especially when I go too?
And he's not at nursery yet either which I suppose doesn't help, although he will be starting this year so hopefully that might move things along when he sees other children going..
Thanks Stubbed

StillaChocoholic Mon 12-Jan-15 21:54:03

My son is also 22 months, so far he knows the word potty and knows that if he doesn't have a nappy on he can ask for the potty and we will get him to sit on it but he absolutely will not do anything on it and doesn't like to sit on it for very long. We are just taking it at his pace as I don't want to stress him out about it so I always give the option of having his nappy on which he then usually takes.

I think just try to explain what you do on the potty. Does he know what wees and poos are? Does he show any signs of knowing that he needs to wee or poo?

Trickytricky Mon 12-Jan-15 22:00:34

Definitely possible! My mum potty trained me and my brother by the time we were 18 months. We did wear old fashioned cloth nappies so that was probably what encouraged my mum!

clairemarie5 Mon 12-Jan-15 22:09:25

18 months!? Jesus! Your mum was a genius haha. I think the thing with me is I'm convinced he won't get it in the first week or so (big chance he won't I know) and then il get fed up and give up, I stress when things don't just go right ha. But I don't want to leave it another 6 months or year before I start trying because maybe he will do well at it now! If that makes sense.. Think I'm just nervous to try, he's my first so I've no experience in this potty business.
He does know what wee and poo is and he does tell me a lot "wee wee" or "wet" which usually means his nappy feels full or has leaked.. and he does tell me poo every time he tries to do one, mainly because he's a little constipated lately and is in a bit of discomfort probably, but yes he does know what they are smile so that's a plus in explaining it all to him I hope!

Kittymum03 Tue 13-Jan-15 10:23:57

Hi,just saw this..I got a potty at 17 months,just put it by the toilet the same as you,then started a little nappy off time,grabbing him and putting him on the potty mid wee..we started what I call 'properly' at 20 months,every time I went I took him with me,sat him on potty,most of the time he would get up again,nappy off all the time at home,potty downstairs too,although most of the time he uses the upstairs one.currently nearly a month in,dry at home,no accidents at all since christmas.accident when out every now and then,we do pants under nappys when out at the mo,just in case..it is taking longer,I posted before and got probably 90% he's too young!wait and it will be quicker..I'm sure it would have been,but I didn't put a time limit on it smile once I'd started I wasn't going to stop,yours sounds likes he's a good way there already if he tells you..sorry if I'm not much help,I'm not an expurt,he's my first too smile if your stubborn like me,stick with it,if not,hold on and see if you get the magic 'it will take 3 days' later on..me and partner both agreed its worth the accidents on the floor,(I had a special spray and cloth,he would run and get it and 'help' me clean up) as it doesn't last long,and he's so proud of himself using the potty,it's all worth it smile sorry for long post,I'm giving everyone support with potty questions as I didn't get it on my thread smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: