Talk

Advanced search

Wasn't expecting this to be so hard!

(4 Posts)
Niknoo82 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:44:16

I trained my son at 2 years 8 months and he was dry within days. Dry at night a few weeks after. It was really easy and required no bribery or anything- he just did it. I was feeling pretty smug. Until recently that is. When my daughter was 2 years 8 months (the age was coincidental- I'm not totally insane) we tried and it was disasterous. She was peeing everywhere and I was trying to juggle that with a teething 4 month old baby. It just wasn't working. A month on we are trying again as daddy has been home to help. I was hoping we'd be sorted by the time he went back to work but alas, no such luck. So far, she's managed to wee in the potty twice- and on both occasions she's taken herself to the potty without any interference from me. This gives me hope, but then it's been over a week and that's all she's done. The rest have been on the floor. I can sit her on the potty and she'll do nothing, but then pee on the floor 5 minutes later. I just don't know what to do! I wasn't prepared for this being so difficult. Any advice greatly appreciated.confused

zinnia Wed 07-Jan-15 01:12:32

Are you sure she's ready? Sounds like she doesn't quite get the potty thing yet... Might be worth leaving it another couple of months then asking her if she'd like to try again.

Kids pick up really easily when it becomes a stressful situation for the parents - this happened with my DD1 and took a long, long time to get over it.

The new baby might not be helping matters from her point of view either, you might be better off stepping back for a while and letting things calm down before trying again.

Niknoo82 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:20:59

Thanks Zinnia. TBH I've been in 2 minds as to if she's ready or not. No sooner have I decided that she's not ready and to go back to nappies than she has a success and I'm left wondering if im being to quick to give up. It's so hard to know what to do for the best!

zinnia Thu 08-Jan-15 13:50:20

Oh I know that feeling all right!

Main advice would be if in doubt, don't push it (this one learned the hard way).

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now