Talk

Advanced search

How to 'potty' train- we are clueless!

(3 Posts)
lotsofthingstolearn Sun 30-Nov-14 21:50:57

Our 22m DS has been saying for 4 weeks or so when he has filled his nappy and occasionally when he has wet his nappy. We have kept putting him onto the toilet just to get him used to it. By coincidence tonight at nappy off time he wee'd in the toilet.

But tbh we are clueless what to do to 'potty' train- seems so young but I don't want to hold him back- so thought I'd better start thinking about it.

Seems silly to put him on a potty and then get him used to a toilet or am I over thinking things

Any advice of things to do?

TarquinMoriartyGruntfuttockII Tue 02-Dec-14 05:39:28

Might seem silly but it works. Just buy a couple of potties and have them in strategic places around the house (lounge, bathroom, bedroom etc. ) I also bought some cheap shower curtains from the pound shop and fold them up underneath to catch accidents. Let your LO get used to seeing them around and if he uses one then give him over the top praise for doing it. You will find they feel safer with the potties as they are their size rather than adult size.

With my 3 I worked out when the most likely time was they were going to wee or poo and popped them on a potty around that time, always had a potty around during any nappy off time as well. Worked for two of mine smile

Another friend would pop hers on the potty every hour.

MillionPramMiles Tue 02-Dec-14 10:13:51

Its a bit like sleep training, no one method is fool proof for all toddlers. You need to find what works for yours.

Some toddlers need to be nudged towards starting training, others want to decide for themselves and will resist being pressured. Eg dd decided she didn't want to wear nappies anymore when she'd moved up a room at nursery as other children were using the potty/toilet. A couple of months prior to that she'd steadfastedly refused any attempts to toilet train.

The method you choose also depends on whether you have any deadlines to work towards and whether your toddler will be spending significant amonts of time in childcare (eg starting pre-school etc). If a toddler is reliant on being put on the potty every hour or reminded every hour that might not work as well in a childcare/pre-school setting.

Finally, expect accidents and to have to incentivise. We had a blissful 6 weeks accident free before dd started to become more complacent in familiar surroundings (home/nursery). That's where star charts/reward jars come in handy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now