Talk

Advanced search

Bare bottom = no problem, but wees in knickers

(5 Posts)
halfdrunkcoffee Fri 21-Nov-14 19:54:47

DD is nearly 23 months. If she has nothing on her bottom half, she will say "wee-wee" when she needs a wee, and then wee on the potty or toilet. If I put her on the potty (for example just before we are going out) she will usually do a wee.

However, when I put her in training pants or normal knickers she just wees in them. DS was similar when he was training, but because he was a year older (he trained at 2y11mo) he had a lot more language so could understand when I told him not to wee in his pants. After a few accidents he got the hang of it. DD doesn't seem to understand. She also seems to wee quite frequently; for example she'll do a wee just before going out on the school run and then when we get back I'll find her pants are wet.

So I'm wondering whether to persevere with pants or put her back in nappies when we're out. It just seems a shame when she has got the hang of it bare-bottomed.

TheBakeryQueen Tue 25-Nov-14 06:38:28

Sometimes if you train earlier then it can take that bit longer to master. She will learn from the accidents if she is keen. She might understand a lot more than you realise so I think it's worth trying to explain in simple language.

Give lots of reminders when she has her pants on.

CecilyP Thu 27-Nov-14 12:39:10

Personally, I don't think it is worth perservering. DS was the same in that at 23 months he would take himself to the potty quite happily if he had nothing on his bottom half, but put him in a pair of pants and he would wet them. (And many of my friend's children were similar) He wasn't trained until 2.6. As you have become aware, they go very frequently at this age, don't seem to be able to hold on, so your life would revolve around finding somewhere for her to go at roughly 20 minute intervals.

TheBakeryQueen Tue 02-Dec-14 12:20:15

I trained my boys at 2.1, 2.4, 2.2 & only ds1 needed reminding, in the early days, if wearing pants. He was reliable in about 7 weeks, took the longest out of the 3. The other 2 potty trained in under a week for wees, and 2 weeks for poos due to witholding.

They are all different. I would persevere if she is capable as anything else is confusing.

halfdrunkcoffee Tue 02-Dec-14 16:48:05

Thanks all, she seems to be getting the hang of it now and usually tells me when she needs a wee, although it seems to be a slow process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now