Talk

Advanced search

Dry/ wet/ who knows?!

(15 Posts)
smogsville Fri 14-Nov-14 21:47:28

DD is 3.2. She's dry at nursery (3 mornings a week) but outside of that it's pot (no pun intended) luck. Thought we were home and dry (oh dear, another one) a few months ago after weeks of no accidents. Poos are fine it's just wees that pose a problem.

Seems to depend on whether she can be bothered or not. She minds a bit when she doesn't get her end of the day choc for keeping her knickers dry but obviously not enough to make the effort all the time.

We've ruled out UTIs by taking her samples to GP for dipping a couple of times.

I'm sure it's my fault for making too big a deal of it. Should I just back off completely, make no comment when we get through five pairs in one day and wait for her to get over it? She's perfectly capable in the physical sense of recognising that a wee is coming but obviously something else is going on.

Any advice appreciated!

TheBakeryQueen Sun 16-Nov-14 10:24:42

It sounds like she is perfectly capable but lacks motivation.

So what motivates her? Maybe the end of the day treat is too far away for it to work. Could you offer a treat for every wee or introduce a reward chart?lots of praise/attention for every success.

smogsville Sun 16-Nov-14 21:50:35

Thanks for replying. We did do stickers for every wee at first but she was so keen to get stickers she was constantly off to the potty!

My mum who looks after her two days a week while I'm at work has come up with a beads in a jar idea as DD likes them. We'll see how it goes. She was fine today save for one small trickle including having her cousin here to play, trip to park and out to lunch. Taking it one day at a time...

TheBakeryQueen Tue 18-Nov-14 22:58:41

That sounds promising!

Wishing you lots of luck smile

smogsville Wed 19-Nov-14 10:16:43

Thanks. Part of me really wants to pay no attention and just let her find her own way. But equally it's a bit boring changing knickers and tights several times a day....

Yackity Wed 19-Nov-14 10:42:40

Sounds as though she knows when to go if she's paying enough attention. If she's distracted or immersed in an activity she doesn't pay attention to the signs. Eventually she will. DS2 is 5 and still comes home from school in spare clothes!

smogsville Wed 19-Nov-14 11:12:40

Yackity - yes I have heard this can be a thing. Probably should just shrug my shoulders and accept it rather than trying to diagnose a 'problem'!

TheBakeryQueen Wed 19-Nov-14 11:47:00

It depends whether it's a problem for you. I personally would tackle it now & keep up the rewards for wees in their proper place. I would find that easier than having to change her clothes.

smogsville Wed 19-Nov-14 22:19:59

That's true Bakery. She was fine today including tube, restaurant and swimming and was super pleased to be able to choose a choc this evening for keeping her knickers dry. Mum's coming over tomorrow with the beads...

TheBakeryQueen Thu 20-Nov-14 11:27:08

That sounds great! The beads is a fun idea too. I'm potty training my ds3 at the moment too. He is ok with wees, it's the poos that we're having issues with. But that's another thread for another day I think.

smogsville Thu 20-Nov-14 20:49:36

Another dry and clean day here. Loves the beads! Good luck with ds3. My friend's son refused to poo anywhere except in his pants for six months but he's fine now - and she did start him quite early (for a boy). Best of luck.

TheBakeryQueen Fri 21-Nov-14 18:31:26

Thanks Smogsville. Good luck to you too, sounds like it's going fantastically!

smogsville Fri 21-Nov-14 21:41:25

Third day dry now. The trouble is we've been here before... Oh well may as well enjoy it while it lasts, this time!

TheBakeryQueen Sat 22-Nov-14 21:44:38

Keep up the praise for as long as humanly possible. It should just become ingrained & fingers crossed no more regressions!

tobysmum77 Thu 04-Dec-14 21:59:29

smogsville we are leading a parallel life.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now