Talk

Advanced search

Will not tell us she needs a wee

(7 Posts)
PunkyPod Sun 09-Nov-14 09:07:43

Dd is now 2.5 and we started training when she turned 2. She took to it fantastically and after about 2 months had poos sorted too. There was a slight regression after about 3 months and we've not really come out of it.

She stopped saying she needs a wee and will just wet herself and then say she's done a wee. So we are still having to take her to the potty/toilet and telling her to do a wee. She will do one as soon as she sits on the potty/toilet no problem.

We've talked about it with her and she says she wants to wear knickers, not nappies. And she says she will tell us if she needs a wee. Occasionally she might but it's rare.

We've done rewards like stickers but doesn't seem to make much difference. Some days are better than others for accidents (probably 1 bad day a week). But I just don't know how to get her to tell us that she needs a wee.

Her language skills are excellent so there's no issues there in her ability to communicate. Just don't really know what to do now....

ninipops Tue 11-Nov-14 21:26:25

Having the same issue with my DS. Not really sure what to tell you just that you are not the only one in this boat. We are just resigned to it taking time. You don't see many 18yr olds not toilet trained so they will get there eventually!

Kittymum03 Sun 14-Dec-14 23:05:41

Hi punkypod,I know this was a while ago just wondered how you are getting on? I hope you've had some progress.only started training my little boy 3 months ago but it sounds the same,some days he's perfect and takes himself and uses the potty,other days will tell me halfway through and I can catch the rest of it in the potty,then there are the random days where he just stands there telling me he's done a wee as it pours down his legs!

differentnameforthis Mon 15-Dec-14 03:03:16

Imo, if they can't read their bodies cues that they need the toilet & vocalise that, they aren't ready to be in knickers/pants.

PunkyPod Mon 15-Dec-14 20:45:48

Kitty, there has been improvement. She is now more often than not telling us she needs a wee. Sometimes a tiny trickle will come out and then she stops herself and tells us she needs to wee and then she does the wee on the potty/toilet. She can now take herself the potty and pull her knickers down and go.

Her poos are no problem at all, she tells us she needs a poo and can hold it until there is a toilet or potty.

Kittymum03 Mon 15-Dec-14 23:40:22

That's good I'm glad your getting somewhere.it must feel better for her not having the accidents.my little one does that,will tell me when there's a tiny bit then hold on while I grab the potty.he has his little word for it too.when I spoke to the health visitor about it she said its like sometimes they almost forget and have to learn again.you would think once they have it they have it,but either way we all get there in the end!

Chickychicks Tue 30-Dec-14 22:03:46

My daughter will tell us she needs a wee and a poo after the fact! She loves the rewards and praise she gets from being on the potty and will wee and poo on demand but that's about as far as we go success wise.Shes 2yrs 6mnths old and very independant and stubborn.I didn't have problems like this with my son who was potty trained at 2 years old.Any advice please?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now