Talk

Advanced search

Am I pushing it too hard?

(4 Posts)
snowgirl1 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:22:38

We started potty training my daughter on Saturday - she's 2.3. It hasn't gone well. When she had her first accident, she got very upset she was wet and wanted a nappy on. I bribed her with a chocolate button to have knickers on. That was at 10.45am and despite being repeatedly asked, she didn't wee again until 4.30pm - and that was only after she sat on the potty, got up saying she was finished (there was nothing in the potty) and then crying for a nappy, which DH put on her.

On Sunday while I was out, she poo-ed and wee-ed in her knickers and got upset she was wet and wanted a nappy on, so DH put a nappy on her.

I'm pretty sure she is ready to be potty trained - when we were out for tea on Saturday evening, she got a nappy out of my bag, unfolded it and laid it on the floor and dropped her knickers (which she was wearing over the top of her nappy) blush so she seems to know when she's got a dirty nappy that needs changing.

When she woke up this morning, I got the potty and put it next to her cot and asked if she wanted to sit on the potty. She refused and got a nappy out.

DH thinks I'm pushing it too hard. What do you think?

dannyboyle Mon 31-Mar-14 12:30:12

Knowing they have gone and need a change is very different to knowing that they need to go to the toilet.
Personally I would leave it until she actually takes her nappy of herself and asks for knickers / potty. Let her take the lead

odyssey2001 Mon 31-Mar-14 17:52:07

I'm afraid I agree that you are possibly pushing too hard. Her getting distressed and the refusals is a sign that she isn't ready emotionally. Wait for another two months and try again. In the meantime try using the potty more but keep her in a nappy, which she is obviously most comfortable with.

juneau Mon 31-Mar-14 19:03:20

At 2.3 I'd put her back in nappies for a month and try again. You can keep going, but it doesn't sound to me like she's ready. You usually make some progress within a couple of days if they are ready. The last thing you want to do is make it a battle of wills. Much better to quit and try again later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now