Talk

Advanced search

Night training at 2.5? Terrible idea or no?

(8 Posts)
fizzly Sun 23-Mar-14 22:08:09

Just potty trained DD and she's doing v well during day. Have noticed over past few months that she is often dry in the morning and since starting potty training has been dry almost every morning and last couple of days has told me she wants to have a wee straight after getting up. Bit of a novelty as her older brother has only just got dry at night in last 6 months at 4.5... So, do I just ditch the nappies and hope for the best or should I hold on. I'm really not sure, as DS is able to get up and go for a wee in the night should he need to, whereas I don't think she'd be able to do this. He has never wet the bed, whereas surely it is inevitable with a 2.5 yr old, on occasion, and I'm not sure either of us want to have to deal with that. If I should bite the bullet, which sheets should I buy and are there any other tips? TIA.

TheGreatHunt Sun 23-Mar-14 22:09:42

It isn't training as such. They're ready when they're ready. With ds we lifted him until about 3.5 (ie woke him, stuck on potty when we were going to bed then he'd be dry all night) then just stopped.
Get some water proof sheets though just in case!

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Mar-14 22:19:32

Your dd sounds just like mine, albeit a month older. Mine will not entertain the idea of wearing nappies at night. She did wear pull ups at night for about a fortnight , until she realised that they were just nappies in disguise. So, she is nappyless at night and has been for about 5 or 6 weeks. Only 1 wet bed, last night. She has a cold, sore throat and is not eating much, but drank about a pint of water and juice in the late afternoon,.early evening.

We have this sheet Clevamamma waterproof sheet. It is nice and soft and not rustly.

odyssey2001 Mon 24-Mar-14 09:24:52

Pampers and Dry Nights also do these absorbent pads. 7 for about £3.50/£4. They are a godsend.

I would go for it. Stick a potty and a nightlight in the room. Reward with chocolate buttons if they wee in the potty in the morning. Worked like a charm for us.

ScottishInSwitzerland Wed 26-Mar-14 19:29:22

My dd was much older. But what I did was wait until she had a fortnight of dry nappies and then went for it

She's been out of nappies since before Christmas and has had three accidents.

I'd also go for it. But yes invest in a waterproof sheet

fizzly Wed 26-Mar-14 21:24:10

We have had 7 dry nights in the last 8 nights, so I may bite the bullet this weekend. DS didn't have a single dry night until he was over 4 and then went straight to being perfectly dry and we have never had an overnight accident at all, so I do get that it is not 'training' and just being ready. But she seems to have quite different physiology than DS.

ReluctantCamper Wed 26-Mar-14 21:29:58

My DS was 3.2 and started having constant dry nappies following day time potty training, so I went for it, only one wet bed since. a friend recommended layering a waterproof sheet, fitted sheet, then another waterproof sheet and another fitted sheet. makes for minimum disruption in the night if the bed gets wet.

go for it and good luck!

tunnocksteacake Wed 26-Mar-14 21:35:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now