Talk

Advanced search

15 months but always tells us when he needs changing - any harm in buying a potty?

(12 Posts)
kalidasa Mon 03-Mar-14 10:14:23

Obviously DS is too young for real potty training as I don't imagine he can control what he is doing yet. But for several weeks now he always indicates when he has filled his nappy - he looks uncomfortable, tugs at it and lies down on the changing mat pointedly. If you say 'shall we change your nappy' he says 'ugh' (yes). Yesterday he also 'asked' me to change his nappy when it wasn't dirty, but was very wet so perhaps he is also aware of weeing. Is there any harm in buying a potty and putting it in the loo? So we could at least start talking about it? He's our first child so doesn't have an elder sibling to copy, but is one of the youngest at his childminder so presumably he sees older toddlers using potties there.

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 10:15:24

No harm at all, but don't expect him to know in advance because he might not.

Artandco Mon 03-Mar-14 10:19:45

Just put on regular toilet. Both mine were potty trained in day by 16 months and 18 months so not necessarily too early

mercibucket Mon 03-Mar-14 10:24:48

they can start potty training at any age so this could be a good sign. we got a seat that fitted on the toilet

MissMilbanke Mon 03-Mar-14 10:25:22

I think he has the beginnings of it, why not give it a go ?

My DS was dry well before two in the day time, but nights were a different matter <sigh>

vladthedisorganised Mon 03-Mar-14 10:26:13

No harm at all. So long as there's no pressure, there's no reason not to give it a go. A few people I know started at about this age with using the potty just before a bath - might help him get familiar with the idea?

kalidasa Mon 03-Mar-14 10:27:10

Thanks both. Hadn't thought of that artandco. Do you use some sort of baby seat on it? Only thing is that DS is a very cautious baby and I think he might be a bit scared of sitting on the loo. We could try it though!

bertie I assume he doesn't know in advance, but realises when it is happening, so can't really be potty trained but we could at least start talking about what is going on and introducing the idea of it going in the loo/potty. He is super keen to copy us at the moment so I thought it might be worth sowing the seeds!

kalidasa Mon 03-Mar-14 10:29:02

This is interesting thanks everyone. I didn't realise it was possible this early, I thought it came a lot later. Good idea to go on before the bath, he likes little rituals and enjoys helping to take his clothes off so might go for this.

Artandco Mon 03-Mar-14 10:39:32

Yes we had a little seat on toilet so they could sit alone without holding on. But find it far easier as then they are used to toilet so at any other house/ out you can just hold on loo and they are used to it
Personally I find potties a bit gross and unhygienic as you can't just flush

kalidasa Mon 03-Mar-14 10:42:14

Yes good point art. I guess anywhere that sells potties will sell these seats too so we'll have a look. Thanks.

Artandco Mon 03-Mar-14 10:48:15

Amazon is your friend! The babybjorn seats are more expensive but the best with boys as they can't pee over the top!

PansOnFire Mon 03-Mar-14 23:46:05

I'm wondering the same thing, my DS indicates when he's going/about to go and I've just bought a potty. So far, every time I've sat him on it he's done something but I thought it was probably a coincidence. I'm going to keep putting him on it and I'll just go from there. I'd focus on the game part of it and celebrating when he sits down more than anything else.

The Mamas and Papas potty has a squishy seat that lifts off to be used as a toilet seat, I thought that if I started off with him on the potty then used it as a toilet seat it would feel the same to him and maybe not make him as apprehensive using the toilet. He's already a bit scared of the flushing noise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now