Talk

Advanced search

What do you do if they just won't sit on the potty or toilet?

(5 Posts)
crazy88 Fri 28-Feb-14 19:02:46

Have tried bribery, didn't work.

Ds3 is only just turned 2, but he is perfectly aware of what he is doing and able to communicate. We have been reading that "Pirate Pete's Potty" book blush, in my defence he chose it from the library himself grin and he seemed quite on board. Did the whole shopping trip to choose potty, pants etc, explained what we were doing, but he absolutely refuses to co operate despite offer of sweets confused

Seriously, can't believe I am here again! Hated this with ds1 and 2. From past experience, and from reading the thread titles on here, I don't agree that waiting until he is 3 is the solution, but I am stumped by out and out refusal confused. And to refuse sweets, goddamit! Can't believe i used my trump card on day 1!

Guardianto2 Fri 28-Feb-14 20:33:38

maybe leave it laying around for a while, sit toys on it, get him to sit on it fully clothed?

CharlesRyder Fri 28-Feb-14 20:42:03

Is he scared/ panicked about it?

My DS was and I kind of sat behind him and held him down cuddled him a couple of times when he'd told me he needed to go and he got over it. It was a little traumatic for me because he cried but short-lived and he was trained by 2.2.

starsandmoonandback Sat 01-Mar-14 13:41:53

Hi

My DS is potty training now at 3.5 as up until now he point blankly refused to sit on the potty! I think waiting is the only way and I'm glad I did as this time, emotionally he was just ready and wasn't before. We used the pirate Pete potty book too (he loved it) and I made a sticker chart too and we used choc buttons....none of which had any influence until now!!! Do you think your little boy is emotionally ready?

Good luck with it all. I found it daunting thinking about it and it's definitely...interesting! shock

crazy88 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:02:58

Thanks for replies.

I am not sure how much I believe in 'emotional readiness' or otherwise. From my experience, potty training is 50% physical readiness and 50% co-operation, and I neither of mine became any more co-operative in general as they reached their third birthday, or for a good while beyond it, come to think of it. Some kids are just never going to be the ones to initiate potty training, unless you are prepared to wait it out into the pre-school years, which I just don't agree with.

We have had some progress - he is now weeing on the potty as long as he doesn't have pants or trousers to contend with. Seems to be traumatised by poos and asks for his nappy when he needs to do one so will need to tackle this separately I think. I have a friend whose daughter did this too so I don't think it's unusual. I think now it's a case of we've started so we'll finish, so we may not be venturing too far from home the next few days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now