Talk

Advanced search

Massive potty training regression HELP!!!

(9 Posts)
Bumbershoot Wed 26-Feb-14 14:55:55

We have a new DD aged 8wks, DS aged 2.10 has been potty trained almost totally reliably since August but all of a sudden this week he's having accident after accident. It's not that he's not making it to the toilet in time, he's simply saying nothing and doing it in his pants! I realise it might be attention seeking with new sister but have no idea how to deal with it. Today we came out with 4 spare pairs of bottoms and we're down to the last one. Help!!

Sunnydaze1982 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:53:17

Hello

Oh gosh, this sounds familiar! My DS was potty trained for 8 weeks and we went through two weeks where is was as though we had just started. I think they go through a period where no one is making a big fuss anymore and they get bored of using the potty.

We ignored the accidents (literally said "let's get you in to some dry clothes" and nothing else. No attention at all.) then really praised potty use. It feels like you're starting again but it doesn't take long until they're back on track.

The other reason could be and impending illness. My DS has the odd accident when he is about to go down with something.

It's so frustrating because you know they can use the potty!

Good luck.

Sunnydaze1982 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:55:08

We also had a new baby in the house!

Bumbershoot Thu 27-Feb-14 00:12:43

Thanks Sunny! So we'll try to ignore and reward successful toilet trips. How long did it take you to retrain yours?

Sunnydaze1982 Thu 27-Feb-14 10:09:31

Only a matter of days. I think about 4 or 5 days. When people say potty training can be done in 3 days it's a little unrealistic and regression is quite normal.

We used a star chart as DS responds really well to them.

Good luck!

elizabethsmum Fri 28-Feb-14 23:22:40

my DD was 4.5 when her twin brother & sister arrived- she had been toilet trained for 2 years but suddenly started seeing everywhere again! I would do as OP have advised- plenty of praise for success, ignoring accidents as best you can and am sure your DS will soon be back on track wine

elizabethsmum Fri 28-Feb-14 23:24:00

fgs weeing!! (i have not yet been on the wine wink

Bumbershoot Sat 01-Mar-14 07:09:42

Thank you smile how long did it last for you? It's funny because we have the odd good day and he's praised loads and seems really proud and then the following day we're back to square one!

elizabethsmum Sun 02-Mar-14 13:26:27

It was probably a couple of weeks or so on and off but promptly stopped as she started school around that time. Am now having regression issues with one of my twins (aged 3.3) we have gone for sticker chart and promise of toy but this would not work with her twin brother who would not really get it iykwim. It is one of those gritted teeth phases unfortunately !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now