Talk

Advanced search

Night training help needed

(4 Posts)
odyssey2001 Mon 24-Feb-14 19:31:30

Hi. Our 3 year old LO has been dry (bar a few accidents) in the daytime for nearly three weeks. We have recently come to the conclusion that he is dry at night but filling his nappy (which often leaks) once he is fully awake in the morning. He just hasn't learned yet that he needs to get up. Last night we tried pants and he was dry this morning. However, I did lift him last night and I had to go in half an hour before hits sun comes up (on his Gro Clock). So, to my questions:
1) Is lifting the greatest parenting evil in the universe? I understand the need for the time to vary but opinion seems to be very much divided still on this issue. It seems to work but I have no idea of how it will affect him in both the short and long term. Doors anyone have experience of it being a bad thing, because most parts seem to indicate that it works, regardless of current thinking.
2) We have a reward chart but has anyone has any luck with encouraging their child to get up and go to the toilet by themselves in the morning.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Atbeckandcall Mon 24-Feb-14 19:47:51

Hello,

Didn't want to pass this and not stick my oar in (isn't that what we
all do on here wink).
Anyway, 3 weeks isn't a long time to be dry in the day and he has still had a few accidents. Maybe don't even think about nighttime until there is a run of 3 weeks no accidents at all?
I know of a few of people who have lifted and others that haven't. In my experience those that did/do are doing for a longer period of time and have relapses of bed wetting than just letting them do it themselves.
For example, one child I know is still being lifted at around 11pm and has been for nearly a year. My dd was lifted once (couldn't cope with the irritable half asleep whinging) and was dry at night after about 6 weeks. However the difference is, my dd woke up and asked to go to the loo (around 2-3am) and then would go back to sleep happily. Within 2 weeks she would go all night and wake up saying she needed a wee, I would then run like Usain Bolt or there would be an accident. If there was an accident, it didn't matter because she wore pull ups at bed time, no need for buggering about with changing beds etc. (I am lazy).
I always told my dd that she was allowed to wake me if she needed the loo, my theory was that of I lifted her and sat her down, she/her body wasn't working it out on its own, therefore lifting would end up compulsory.
Anyway, don't panic, well done on cracking the daytime and you'll get there with the night. If I've confused you come back on here and ask me to clarify (I've had a glass of wine).

odyssey2001 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:45:04

Thanks for your reply.

His accidents are normal boy things so I'm not worried about them - he is just too busy with his toys to get to the toilet in time so I think these will always be part of his m.o. until he grows up a bit.

What you have described regarding lifting is what I'm worried about but I wondered whether it would work on an irregular basis.

He is not in pulls ups at night but proper pants because he sees pull ups as nappies and has no desire not to wee in them.

I think I might just have to bite the bullet, not lift him tonight and see what happens.

Atbeckandcall Wed 26-Feb-14 07:38:12

I suppose you could try infrequent lifting, you could gauge it on how much he has had to drink before bedtime. Sounds like he's doing well though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now